Recipes Using Quinoa

My doctor told me to eat more fiber and someone told me to eat quinoa. I looked for some in the grocery store, but couldn't find any. What I need to know is where in the store is it located? I'm also looking for some quinoa recipes, maybe something that I can cook in my crockpot. Thank you in advance.

By Jackie from GA

I buy mine at Target. I buy Bob's Red Mill. Apparently some quinoa has to be soaked or washed to get rid of a coating (bitter? soapy?), but that isn't necessary with the kind I buy. I think it's near the flour/oats type area.

http://allrecip … Dish/Detail.aspx

I like this recipe. I toss in some frozen peas, and don't skip the optional lemon juice -- it makes a big difference! It's really easy, and sometimes I'll eat it for my lunch a few days in a row (I'll eat it cold or hot). :-)

Since the first part of your query was about fiber, I would suggest flax seed. Buy a coffee mill and grind your own. Start with 1/2 Tbsp. daily and increase by 1/2 Tbsp. increments each week to 2 Tbsp. after two weeks. Mix it with your morning juice, or sprinkle it into your cereal, substitute 1 Tbsp. of ground flax seed for one egg in appropriate recipes.

I don't know about Target's price, but Costco also has quinoa. (I cannot find it anywhere else) the price at Costco was cheaper than Amazon.com. i love quinoa!! Sort of a cross between couscous and rice in flavor, at least to me.

Thanks for the feedback. I'll check out the Target store near my job. Costco is too far and I'm not a member. I want to try the recipe on the allrecipes.com site that Mrs. Story wrote above. I'll let you know how I like it. But I'd also like some other recipes if any readers have them and liked.

Quinoa is located next to the rice at my Walmart.

In our area, Quinoa is located in the Gluten-Free section in our local grocery store.

You might have to ask the manager if they even have quinoa if you are looking in the grocery store. Try a health food store if unavailable in your grocery store. Try Whole Foods if you are lucky enough to have one in your area. For recipes, try the usual recipe sites like Allrecipes.

As far as I know, you can get good fibre from brown rice, wholewheat bread,bran cereal, oats, wholewheat pasta, millet, buckwheat and some vegetables like cabbage. Quinoa may be difficult to find so if its just fibre you want, there are plenty of foods to choose from.

I get quinoa at WinCo in the bulk foods section. I had trouble finding it at first because it's in the cereal section and not with the barley and rice where I expected it. I love quinoa with black beans, Ro-tel (tomatoes w/ chiles), corn, and cilantro.

Anonymous

Big lot has it i got some recently.