VegetablesFood Tips

Seasoning Veggies and Beans

Trying to change my eating habits. Would like to know what you season veggies and beans (collard greens, turnips, cabbage, black-eyed peas) with. I would normally use ham but I am trying to eat healthier this year. Any suggestions?

Onesummer

Bragg Liquid aminos! (bragg.com) I admit that the name doesn't sound appetizing but it makes everything you spray it on taste great! It's also really good for you as far as seasonings go as it contains 16 amino acids. You'll probably have to pick it up at a natural grocery since I doubt the box stores will have it, but it's worth the trip and if you're trying to eat healthier that's the best place to shop anyway!

Also, if you add a bit of toasted sesame oil to your veggies it will give them the subtle taste of ham without the pig. =0)

Good Luck!

For beans and greens, I use smoked turkey legs which are available in my supermarket where they sell the smoked hamhocks.

You could also try some of the leaner cuts of pork.
For cabbage, I use turkey kielbasa or turkey smoked sausage. In fact, that is what we are having for dinner tonight, cabbage, carrots and smoked turkey sausage.

what about boulion cubes? they come in beef or chicken.

Bouillon cubes come in ham flavor, too. They might be in the Hispanic section of the supermarket. Another idea is adding a couple drops of liquid smoke to the cooking water instead of ham.

Onions go good with just about anything. Carraway seeds are good with cabbage.

Pick up some Cavender's All-Purpose Greek Seasoning in the spice section. There's both regular and a salt-free type. It is wonderful on all sorts of veggies...even on eggs, cottage cheese...you name it, it's great! A little bit goes a long way, so start out with just a bit. The combination of spices really brings the flavor out in food.

For Cabbage I use Chicken Bullion, onion, fresh minced garlic and black pepper. There is ALMOST fat free but I think the bullion may contain a little. Also, I like the idea of the smoked turkey leg. I think a few pieces in there for flavoring would be yummy too! Good luck... I am dieting too so I know it is VERY hard. Oh, I have also been adding Cumin, black beans and diced chicken to veggie soup and it quite good. HTH

I use Ham Flavored Concentrate. It is made by Goya and has no calories. 330 mgs of sodium. It is in the hispanic section in grocery store. The box has 8 packets and each packet equals the flavor of 1/4 th pound of smoked ham. Its reasonably priced too.

My "secret ingredient" since we are on a low-fat diet and trying to cut down on red meats, is to add a little "liquid smoke" to replace the Ham or Bacon in recipes. It will fool your taste buds. I use this when I make Bean Soup. Another trick I use to make great Bean Soup is when I buy the beans, I pick a small package of whatever kind of dry beans are available...Pintos, Limas, Kidney Beans, Great Northern beans, black-eye peas, Garbanzo Beans, Black Beans, Navy Beans. Also buy a bag of pearl barley and a bag of lentils. Just pour them all into a large canister or coffee can and mix well. Put a couple cups of this mixture in a slow cooker, Cover with water, and add water as they cook if needed. Add a couple teaspoons of liquid smoke, some chopped onion, carrot slices and chopped potatoes. Wait until beans are almost cooked to add the salt. And occasionally, I also add tomatoes or tomato juice just to change the taste. I started mixing my beans up like this long before you could find 7-beans soup mix in the store. It is much cheaper to mix your own.

Harlean from Arkansas

I have found smoked turkey wings, or other parts, are a very fine substitute. Cathy

Big Lots has a large seasoning section in my local store. I especially like the cajun spice and the no-salt seasoning (garlic, onions, etc.). They're about $.60 each for a 4 - 5 ounce shaker.