Recipes Using Pork and Beans

Category Cheap Meals
If you have excess cans of pork and beans, use them in recipes like goulash or shepherd's pie. There are many ideas how to incorporate them into a delicous dish.

I have cans of pork and beans and need recipes for these. I am tired of the same old "open can and heat and eat". I would like to know how i can use these up. The were cans given to me, (I would not buy them myself). Thank you in advance for any and all suggestions.

jmz2005 from Illinois

Answers

Best Answer

I'm not crazy about pork-n-beans as they come from the can either. I have a couple of ways to fix them that is much more appealing. First I just doctor it up by adding a little catsup, some bacon fat, brown sugar and a very small amount of prepared mustard, and some instant onion. I just taste test until I get it right. LOL.

Next is a casserole. Place beans in a casserole, top with slices of Spam then slices of cheese. You may cook this on top the stove in a Corningware pan or bake it in the over until hot and bubbling and the cheese melted. I usually doctor the beans before putting them in the casserole. Hope you like these recipes.

Judy(from Illinois too)

My son-in-law loves home cooking, my daughter loves quick box cooking! He asked me to make shepherd's pie using pork 'n beans. Not cottage pie, he swears it only has potatoes, meat, and pork n beans. Help! Anyone have a recipe?

By Irish

Answers

I found this recipe on Allrecipes.com as submitted by Sophie Scott. She writes:
"This is a hearty English meal, made with lamb mince, hence the name! Although it is called a pie it doesn't use any pastry and is so cheap, quick and easy to make, you'll enjoy making it! This is a 'larder cupboard' recipe, which means you can substitute for whatever you have handy in the cupboard!"

The recipe has great reviews and you can substitute ground beef for the lamb. I hope it will help you.

4 large baking potatoes, peeled and cubed
1 tablespoon butter
1/4 cup milk
2 pounds ground lamb
1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
1 cube beef bouillon
12 button mushrooms, sliced
1 onion, finely chopped
1 (16 ounce) can baked beans
1 (12 ounce) can canned diced tomatoes
3 tablespoons brown gravy mix (optional)
1 (15 ounce) can carrots, drained (optional)

Directions:

1. Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F (200 degrees C).
2. Place the potatoes into a saucepan and fill with enough water to cover. Bring to a boil, then cook over medium heat until tender enough to pierce with a fork, about 10 minutes. Drain and mash with butter and milk to your desired texture.

3. Meanwhile, crumble the ground lamb into a large skillet. Cook and stir until no longer pink. Season with Worcestershire sauce and beef bouillon. Add the mushrooms and onion; continue to cook and stir until tender. Transfer the contents of the skillet to a large casserole dish.
4. Mix the baked beans, diced tomatoes, gravy mix and carrots in with the lamb. Dollop big blobs of mashed potatoes over the top and carefully spread evenly to cover the entire top. Rake over it with a fork to create a crispy texture on top when it browns.

5. Bake for 10 minutes in the preheated oven, until the top is browned and crisp.

A hearty weeknight dinner using a can of pork and beans as the base. This guide contains a recipe for pork and beans goulash.

Comment Pin it! Was this helpful? Yes

• 2 eggs
  • 1 cup oil
  • 2 cups sugar
  • 1 can pork and beans (remove fat)
  • 3 cups flour
  • 1 tsp. cinnamon
  • 1/2 tsp. baking powder

• 1 tsp. soda
  • 1/2 tsp. salt
  • 1 tsp. vanilla
  • 1 cup nuts
  • 1 cup raisins

Directions:

Beat eggs, sugar, oil, and pork and beans together enough to mash all the beans. Combine flour, cinnamon, baking powder, soda, and salt. Add to pork and bean mixture. Stir only enough to moisten completely. Add vanilla, nuts, and raisins. Bake in a loaf pan at 350 degrees F for 1 hour. Sounds crazy but it's good!

By Robin

Answers:

Pork and Bean Bread

Pork and Bean Bread

I found this same recipe in a book titled "Just Cakes". I tried it just out of curiousity and it really is delicious. Everyone loved it and thought it was a nice spice cake. I waited until it was all eaten before giving away the "secret". Now I`ve also given the recipe as several people wanted it. It`s yummy! (04/02/2005)

By Marian Hillyer