Crockpot Corned Beef and Cabbage

I always do my corned beef in the crock pot. My question is, at what time during the cooking do i put in the potatoes and cabbage? My cabbage always turns out mushy. I usually cook on high. Thank you for your help.

jmz2005 from Illinois

By jean (Guest Post)

Cook the corned beef for 7-9 hours on low, (depending on size of your meat) until it is about an hour away from done, then put your cabbage wedges in the crockpot, and cook for another hour.
I start my meat, potatoes, and carrots all together, then put in the cabbage. Everything comes out done together, and the cabbage still has a little crunch.That's how we like it. Hope you enjoy your St. Patrick's day dinner.

Corned Beef & Cabbage

3 carrots, cut in 3" pieces
2-4 pound corned beef brisket
2-3 onions, quartered
1-2 cups water

Put all ingredients in crockpot in order listed. Cover and set to low for 10-12 hrs or. (High: 5-6 hrs) Add cabbage wedges on top, push down to moisten, after 6 hrs on low (or 3 hrs on high).

Note: Vegetables may be varied, or omitted for plain corned beef.

Cabbbage: to prepare more cabbage than crockpot will hold with large brisket, cook it separately in skillet. Remove 1 cup broth from crockpot during last hr of cooking. Pour over cabbage wedges in skillet. Cover and cook slowly for 20-30 minutes.

By the way, I put some peeled potatoes in the bottom of the crockpot plus some carrots.

I find that if I go according to the recipe from Rival, the cabbage gets over-done so I would not put it in as early as it says.

(these directions per the Rival Crock-Pot cookbooklet)

Thank You so much for the help and advice.

By cookiemom1 (Guest Post)

It's so funny that you ask because I have corned beef, red potatoes and carrots in the crockpot as I type. I put my crockpot on low and hope all is ready by about 5:00 p.m.

or so. I plan on putting the cabbage in around 3:30 or 4:00. I don't like my cabbage real soggy, either. Good luck on yours!

Put veggies in the last 45 mins. of cooking on low. If they are quite cold, then leave it on high for 15 mins.

If you have many veggies and not enough room in the pot, my suggestion is to cook the corned beef, remove it, and then immerse the veggies in the cooking liquid and cook them until done.

By Marie (Guest Post)

I have not read any of the feedback so hope this is not a repeat. I find that it works best to cook the corned beef by itself (in crockpot/oven/stove - whatever) THEN remove it and cook vegetables, I use cabbage, potatoes, carrots and onions (you can cook the onion with the corned beef if you want) - for about an hour (in oven but think it would be longer in crock pot) in liquid you cooked the meat in.

Pressure Cooker, Pressure Cooker. Meat first, veggies added later. Yumm.