Removing Odor from Vintage Clothing

I have received 50 year old baby clothes that have never been used! There are lots of pretty party dresses. The only problem is they have a very vintage smell to them. I have washed them once in Tide and dried them with fabric sheets. That really didn't help much. I'm sure there is a trick out there. Please help.

By Erica from Plainfield, IL

Best Answer

Add 1 cup of white vinegar along with detergent, will remove musty smell.

Best Answer

A professional would use orvus.

Best Answer

Use Ivory Snow or Dreft and rinse a 2nd time nothing other than water. This is baby clothing, maybe going to be worn by a baby again? Wash accordingly. Using strong stuff like Tide or borax is not for baby clothing. If it is for a doll use, then other means is ok.

They may be musty - putting them out in the sun should help - I used Borax on some old linens & dried them in the sun - You could also try Fabreze Fabric spray - & drying in the sun.

You don't want chemicals next to a baby's skin, even fabreze, so if you use them be sure and wash again later. I personally would fill the washer, add 1/4 cup bleach and a little detergent. Then add the clothes. That much bleach stired into the water will not fade the clothes and will take away the musty smell.

I agree with MCW. Vinegar will do the trick except that I would just use vinegar this next washing instead of adding detergent since you already did that.

Try using baking soda in the wash cycle.

Thank you for all of the great ideas. I tried soaking the dresses in baking soda for a couple of hours yesterday and it helped somewhat but that smell is still lingering! I will try the vinegar soak, washing with baby detergent (as T&T Grandma said that is what's best for baby skin), and then drying in the sun! I will let you all know if it works! I would hate to get rid of these clothes just because of an odor issue they are so cute!

Arm & Hammer makes a laundry booster that you can soak the clothes in. I did laundry for an elderly woman whose clothes smelled rather badly and this took all the odor out! : ) Good luck!