How Do I Find Help to Pay My Rent?


Where do I go to get help paying my past due rent of $903.00? I am not having any luck so far. Thank you.

By muffin from Rio Rancho, NM


Add your voice! Click below to answer. ThriftyFun is powered by your wisdom!

Silver Feedback Medal for All Time! 290 Feedbacks
April 1, 20110 found this helpful

You would have to give us more information so the Thriftyfun community can steer you in the right direction.

Do you have a full time or part time job? If you are working are you paid a minimum wage? Do you have credit card debt? If you can eventually catch up on what you owe on your back rent and pay your rent on time, and after you fulfill your obligation on your one year lease. Start looking for another cheaper apartment to move to before your lease is due.


This is some of the information you will have to post.

Reply Was this helpful? Yes
April 1, 20110 found this helpful

If you are or aren't working, you can go to job and family services for help. they will look over your information, and help you in any way they can. have you thought of a cheaper place? If your working, try and budget your money, figure out what bills you have each month, and set aside money for those, and other items that you need. Don't go spending money on things you don't need, especially if you have bills due, a pair of new shoes may sound nice, but a roof over your head sounds nicer...

Reply Was this helpful? Yes
April 2, 20110 found this helpful

I do have a job. I was sick for a while and that is how I got behind on my rent and my husband is waiting to hear from SSI. I am struggling right now.

Reply Was this helpful? Yes

Bronze Feedback Medal for All Time! 186 Feedbacks
April 2, 20110 found this helpful

The whole country has rental assistance, however, most of them don't do past due rent. If you qualify they pay part of your monthly rent. They are called slightly different things in different towns. Most counties have county welfare offices, where people can get diffferent types of help, but there again I don't know what types of help there is, a lot of times it is with medical and funeral expenses. One of my daughters got evicted last August, she was paying $650 a month for a 4 bedroom house, and when the court news appeared in the local paper she had a judgement against her to the landlord for almost $6,000. She has absolutely nothing to show for that money so I don't know what she was doing with it.


She and her four kids are now living in three bedroom apartment for the same amount of rent and because there is 10 years age difference between the two boys and the oldest one being disabled, the boys each have their own bedroom and my daughter is sleeping on the couch in the living room. I would suggest going to the Department of Social Services and maybe they will have some ideas. I know here there are a couple of places that will help people with deposits, but I have never heard of anyplace helping with past due rent. Were there other bills you were paying that you probably could have got buy without paying easier than the rent?

Reply Was this helpful? Yes

Gold Post Medal for All Time! 846 Posts
April 4, 20110 found this helpful

Have you tried making a repayment agreement with the landlord? Let your landlord know what you can realistically repay each month to get caught up and let him/her know you will put it in writing signed and notarized (notary is free at the bank) that you promise to repay so much per month for however many months it takes to repay. Along with doing that start looking for a less expensive rental even if it means having to live in a studio apartment.


And don't stiff your landlord because he/she doesn't deserve to lose their income because of your misfortunes. You're most likely Blessed with a humane landlord or else you would have already been given notice to move out. Depending on the state you live in a landlord can have you put out by the sherrif in as little as twenty days.

Reply Was this helpful? Yes
April 4, 20110 found this helpful

Your community probably has a Community Action Program which may be able to help. Also, try some churches for info on where to obtain help.

Reply Was this helpful? Yes
April 5, 20110 found this helpful

Reply Was this helpful? Yes

Diamond Feedback Medal for All Time! 1,394 Feedbacks
April 11, 20110 found this helpful

I'm sorry to hear you're having it so rough right now. I don't know about NM, but my county in OH has a place called the Interfaith Hospitality Network. They run homeless shelters, but also help with rent and I think mortgage. I never availed myself of their help, but a friend did. He said they were wonderful, and their maximum grant amount was $1800. I don't have any further info, though, so I can't give details on this organization.


Salvation Army and the St Vincent de Paul Society have both helped us with partial mortgage before. Last time we asked them, though, their grant limit was only $100-$200, and our mortgage is over $400. If either you or your hubby is a veteran, you can appeal to the local Veterans' Affairs office. They've helped us at least twice. They'll give you a paper listing what proofs they'll want, but I remember they wanted income proofs, as well as any and all bills we needed help with. I keep my check register on my computer, so printed out the entire month's transactions, as well as my personal budget sheet. I think my preparation and record-keeping is what earned us the help each time. They've paid all our core bills, they don't pay insurance or phone, and gave us a Kroger gift card for groceries and anything else you can buy at Kroger's, including gas.


If nothing else I've said fits your situation, I suggest you dial 211. That's the nationwide Information and Referral number. They should have a local call center that knows what resources are available in your county. I'll be praying for you.

Reply Was this helpful? Yes
April 11, 20110 found this helpful

I am disabled and live on SSDI. Often the rent is a challenge, however I never fail to pay the rent. I cut back on other things. We cancelled items like extra cell phones, cable and went to a more affordable offering.

I have been unsuccessful in finding work for more than 8 years as a product of disability. If you try to cut back you can make it. It is not easy but you must choose what is most improtant a roof over your head or a cellphone or internet service.

If you can give up things that are less mandatory and focus on those that are crucial you will find the struggle difficult but it can be done.

Cut back on what you buy at the grocery- Shop only for basic staples and if you have to go vegan for a while. Lentils and other Bean products are high in protein, healthy and cost far less than animal protien and poultry.

Make dishes that evolve as caserole vs meat and potato combinations. This requires less meat products more vegetables and it is filling and nutritious.

Obtain foods from a food pantry if needed and direct funds for groceries to rent.

Contact Utility company and arrange a level billing plan that will save you money in off months and build credits for higher consumption periods.

Water/ Sewer and Trash - Remove baths and use shower methods - reduces water consumption and billing cost.

Laundry - consolidate washing and reduce ware on outer clothing. Example wear outer clothing twice before laundring when not out in hot working environment. Have children change from school clothes to play clothes and use all more than once when possible to help save during difficult times.

Rinse fine washables by hand and line or air dry this reduces electric consumption.

Cancel all subscriptions until you are back on your feet.

You have a great deal of financial resource within grasp if you detail records and remove items not relevant to immediate living needs.

If you have two cars consolidate to one and park the other. Walk or use public transportation and save as much as $200 dollars each month.

Asking others to help one pay their bills is not alwasy the answer though many would like for us to beleive amidst their advertised hype.

If bills are a problem then use a credit counseling service and when all else fails as a last resort there is Chapter 13 Bankruptcy.

Reply Was this helpful? Yes

Add your voice! Click below to answer. ThriftyFun is powered by your wisdom!

Budget & Finance Paying BillsApril 1, 2011
Fourth of July Ideas!
Summer Ideas!
Ask a Question
Share a Post
Better LivingBudget & FinanceBusiness and LegalComputersConsumer AdviceCoronavirusCraftsEducationEntertainmentFood and RecipesHealth & BeautyHolidays and PartiesHome and GardenMake Your OwnOrganizingParentingPetsPhotosTravel and RecreationWeddings
Published by ThriftyFun.
Desktop Page | View Mobile
Disclaimer | Privacy Policy | Contact Us
Generated 2021-06-22 17:28:00 in 2 secs. ⛅️️
© 1997-2021 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved.