TipsFrugal Living

A Gallon of OJ for $1.50!

Category Tips

Why buy that "Sunny Dee" stuff that always has that fake flavor to it for relatively big bucks? I've discovered if you take a regular can of OJ concentrate, which I get at a local Aldi's (a Mecca for frugal food shoppers!) for $1.29, combine with a 10-cent packet of dollar store lemonade mix (do NOT use the orange drink stuff or you'll get that "Sunnie Dee" funny flavor) and 4 packs of sweetener or proportional amount of sugar and add a gallon of COLD water, you'll get a concoction that tastes a heck of a lot like "regular" real orange juice for a fraction of the cost.

Simple eh?

I also use a variant of this for what I call"Sourpuss Grape" drink: Use a half a container of 100% Concord Grape Juice Concentrate (Once again, about $1.39 at Aldi - love that store!), two packs of the 10-cent Dollar Store Lemonade Mix and seven sweetener packs in a gallon of cold water. Packs a nice tart punch and is a great thirst quencher in the summer! And, it's even cheaper than the "Orange J'aid" above. Oh yeah, both make good mixers for your favorite clear liquors... heh heh.

By CenoByte from Sylvan Beach

I wonder if people read the label stating what is in Sunny D and the number of calories. I drink the real stuff, orange juice, not Sunny D junk.

I never liked the Sunny D stuff either *yuck :P*. (I thought I was the only one!) But this mix sounds pretty good and a lot better for you, too. I think I will give it a try and see if the family likes it. Thanks for sharing!

Great ideas for the OJ. Thanks.
From another Aldi fan.

This sounds like a good way to make an orangeaide drink, but remember if you are diluting the OJ you are diluting the nutrients too. Of course, if you are using this for mix, nutrition is not one of the main things you are worrying about!!! LOL

I remember when I was a kid, Kool-Ade had a Lemon-Grape flavor. I always wondered why they discontinued it.