AdviceHealth & Beauty

Taking Big Pills

How do you take pills that are as big as a baseball? (Well, okay, not that big, but big enough.) I have to take a certain pill every day, (Actually, 3 of them a day) and each one is HUGE! Any advice? Thanks!

Stacey from Orem, UT

P.S. I've tried to break them up, they just seem to stick in my throat and I nearly choke on the pieces!

You could go to the drug store and get a pill crusher then mix it in apple sauce or juice. I hope this helps :):)

Old Wives tale make you eyes look up when swallowing, it works not sure how but it does.

Are they pills or capsules? Ask your doctor if they can be done up by the pharmacist as capsules instead.

I've had my pills done that way by my pharmacist for years, and it makes them *much* easier to swallow (a big capsule can at least slide easier down).

Also, try taking them with soda. The carbonation helps them go down.

They're pills, not capsules. Thanks for the ideas!! I'll try those!

Remember to take a drink before you take the drink for the pills. It helps clear and loosen the passageway.

Be sure to check with your Dr. because some pills can't be crushed especially time-released or long lasting ones. Sometimes the same medicine comes in a different shape if you get generic vs name-brand. Potasium and some others can come in a liquid form but you have to ask the Dr if you can switch. Claudia

My mother had problems swallowing any type pill. During her hospital stay her doctor came by and saw the problem at which time he advised the nurse to give her applesauce when she takes her medication. She has not had any problems swallowing her pills if she uses the applesauce instead of liquid. Hope it helps you

I have found it helpful to eat something with the pill -- a bite or two of food, swallow the pill with water, then another bite or two of food immediately after the pill. The food seems to work better than just water at keeping the pill from feeling "stuck" in the back of my throat! If you're not taking the pills with meals, even just a cracker or two can do the trick.

Here are three possible helps for you:
Put the pill in a small spoonful of apple sauce, yogurt or peanut butter.

Eat a banana first, or perhaps some kind of oil, it will slide down easier.

I take my huge pills with my oatmeal. Also I find that drinking something warm seems to relax my throat muscles some, then I put them one at a time into a bite of oatmeal, Not to hot so as to melt them, and just swallow them down. It works for me. Good luck to you.

Take them with water, and then give yourself a reward for putting up with this unnatural behavior - a cookie!

Put the pill at the back of your tongue and drink your water from a straw. If you suck on the straw hard and swallow fast, it should go down without trouble. This has worked for me from time to time. Good luck!

Don't think of it as taking a pill. If you had a wad of food in your mouth the same size as your pill that you had just chewed, you would swallow it naturally without any difficulty. This pill is no different. Think of it as just another mouthful of food.........and if you have to, eat food along with it.

I've had a problem taking pills my whole life. I found a hint about a year ago, and it has worked wonders for me.

Most people put the pill back as far as possible and try to wash it down by throwing the head back. Instead, try the opposite. Put the pill back in the mouth, and tuck your chin down when you are ready to swallow. For some reason, this seems to make swallowing pills much easier. I used to have trouble taking one pill. Now I can take a handful of supplements at one time. It sounds almost too simple to be true, but I have found that it works well for me. It does take a practice or two to get used to because you have to fight the natural inclination to throw the head back.

Hope this helps someone.

Someone once told me if you drink something thick like V8 or tomato juice it will help pills go down easier. Also don't tilt your head back when you swallow pills, it closes your throat off a little, so it's harder to swallow. Hope this helps.

I use a mortar and pestle to powder up supplements like grape seed extract to put into yogurt for my kids to take. They are inexpensive, although I would check with the pharmacist first to make sure its ok to grind that particular medication. Also, as a rather sickly child, I remember my mother grinding tablets, then mixing them with a teaspoon of jam to get me to eat it off a spoon....

My mother crushes a piece of banana and put the pills in the middle of a spoonful.When she has had 'enough' of banana, she uses a spoonfool of gelly or creamcheese or any other soft fruit pulp (papaya, avocado). As she takes 5 pills twice a day, she changes flavors to help.
In Europe, they have a type of medical, thin waffer, the same used by catholics at Mass, in which you wrap the pill and just wet it a tiny bit with water and swallow. If you can find these waffers or check with a priest where they can be bought (the ones before being blessed, obviously), is granted to help.

I always fill my mouth first with water, then put a pill in and swallow. It goes right down, no problems. I do like the cookie idea, too!

Has anyone else ever had to take those nasty pills for cat scratch fever?--those are the worst pills ever! Made me want to barf.

This is for HeyPeg.....that tip about putting your chin down and then swallow the pill is amazing!!!! I admit I had my doubts as I couldn't imagine the pill having to go "up and over"...but that isn't how it feels at all. It really does just "slip" right down the throat....and I take a couple of HUGE pills. Thank you so much for that tip, Peg!!!

Thanks for all these great ideas. I was having a terrible time swallowing an average-size pill, and it was starting to taste dreadful. I came to this site and saw the suggestion to take it with applesauce -- it worked!

Kudos to hey peg. Tried tilting down chin and lo and behold the big horse pill went down! I didn't believe it would work, I was prepared to choke! If your out you don't always have peanut butter, jello, etc. This worked, hope it continues, it's psychological too, I think. Thanks for everyone's great tips.