If You Are Overcharged at WalMart

For Wal-Mart shoppers, here is a tip if you were not aware of it. When you go shopping make sure you look at the price tag, compare the name, ounces, anything else that is pertinent to the item. Make sure when you check out that the price rings up the same, if it doesn't here is the big tip.

If your item rings up higher than the shelf price: If your item is $3 or less you get the item for free, if the item is over $3 you get $3 off your total bill!

Now, some of the cashiers will argue with you over this that they do not do this. I worked at Wal Mart 20 years ago, this is where I learned it, I shop at Wal Mart now and I keep an eye on every price and I have gotten a lot of stuff free!

To argue back, next time you are in the store, look for a sign on your side of the register, it is yellow and red and states what I just told you, then they cannot argue with you and have to honor it. Good Luck!

Frugal in Indiana

By Samantha

Wow.........do you know if it's the same in Canada's walmart????.........I hope so.....tee hee

I never knew this and when I've seen I was overcharged it's been after I left the check out lane so went to the courtesy desk....I was not given anything free!

By Claudia-MD (Guest Post)

Great tip......Walmart is the only store I have problems where the price in the register does not reflect the sale price on the signs at the rack. I usually argue that the sign has a different (lower) price and they usually push back until I tell them I don't want the item at the higher price- then they usually key in the lower price.

But this is great news....I will look for the signs in my Walmart.

By Dean (Guest Post)

I am over charged alot at Wal Mart.They blame it on the stock people putting the items under the wrong price tag.When that happens they charge me the mis price which is the lower price but I have never seen any placard spelling out any money back on over charges any where in the store.

By (Guest Post)

In Michigan there is a scanner law. If you are overcharged (price has to be on the item) you get the difference plus 10 times the amount back, up to $5.00. They most always have to pay me to take the item! The stores here also have to price the items, Wal-Mart is a good one for getting fined for not doing so.

By Sheila in Florida (Guest Post)

Wow! that is awesome to know...I'm gonna spread the word to alllllllllllll my friends and family, both cyber AND real! ;)

By (Guest Post)

I was told one time at the Walmart in Broken Bow, Oklahoma that they did NOT honor that anymore. So, I emailed the corporate headquarters and told them what the customer Service rep. told me and they sent me a check for the $3.00 plus a $5.00 check for my trouble.

Walmart is REAL bad about not having the correct price on clearance items, I ALWAYS watch the register to make sure the correct price rings up. I also usually make sure my clearance and sale items are set up towards the end where they will be rung up last so I can make sure I am up there to check the correct prices are being rung up.

By the way,Walmart does NOT do the $3.00 off or the item is free thing if a CLEARANCE ITEM RINGS UP WRONG.

I have a question, if it is just an "accident" or "innocent error" when a mistake happens, don't you think we would be UNDERCHARGED for an item occasionally? I can't remember ever being UNDERCHARGED for an item.

I work at Walmart so I am well aware of this policy. Just keep a couple of things in mind when shopping there (or any "Big Box Store"). Alot of our shelves are stocked and tagged by vendors (pop, bread, chips, candy, magazines) so the mistakes that they make are not actually the store's mistakes. If you do have a dispute with a price, expect the cashier to call the department to verify the price. You might have to wait while they call the department. Then wait for the one person in the department to call back. If the item is misplaced (a 32 ounce box over an 8 ounce box price tag) don't argue the price. It was an honest (or stupid or careless) mistake. If it really is a pricing error (the 32 ounce tag says $3.59 and it rings up $4.29) then by all means, ask for the price quoted, one item free or $3 off your order.

You will only get this special price or discount once. Don't expect 20 items at the incorrect price. If an item is incorrectly priced, tell the cashier, have them call to verify the price. But at my Walmart cashiers and CSMs (the managers that handle the front end) pay the price in their end of year bonuses based on things like price overrides. In the 7 years my Walmart has been open there have been only two yearly bonuses. Keep this in mind and don't abuse the policy (as I see people do all the time). I may seem harsh or rude but this is my job and my only source of income.

Everytime I'm overcharged and I say something, I'm told that you have to catch the error at the time it's made. If it's the last item rung up and the cashier hits the last key, it's too late.

You have to wait in line at the service desk to get your overcharge money back, but they will not give it to you free.

I STAND CORRECTED! Today I bought a skirt at Walmart, from the clearance rack, that was marked $9.00. When the item was being rung up at the register it came up for $16.94! The cashier noticed the error right away but had to have a CS rep. come over to correct something. When she came up to the register I pointed out to her that I wanted the $3.00 off the price total. She didn't argue with me and took it right off.

So, the skirt that originally cost $16.94 I got for $6.00!

By Linda from WI (Guest Post)

I also worked at a Wal-mart and they do not honor that policy anymore. They have even taken down the signs at the registers. My Wal-mart in Hayward, WI always rings up wrong prices and depending on the cashier they just correct it, after they call the dept.

Never ever give you 3.00 off or your 3.00. They also do not honor the same price sale item anymore.

I do not believe WalMart's overcharging is an accident. When the price is wrong it's always in their favor. I don't think I've ever been overcharged on anything at my grocery store. Another reason why I don't buy my groceries at WalMart. Enough Said!

When they are called on an incorrect pricing on an item you'd think they'd fix it but they don't; they make it up on the next customer who doesn't realize he is being overcharged.

Ive noticed this. Ive complained to customer service thats been the fourth time (licorice 1.88 roll back and I rings up regular price every time). Either they are aware of it and its like the new normal. They dont apologize or even attempt to explain it, they just refund the difference.

I myself would just like to be charged the correct amount and feel that this policy is cheating someone somewhere. You can be sure of that.

Anonymous

This is no longer Walmart policy

A lot of stores are overcharging their customers at the register. I have a hard time shopping and watching the register to see if I'm getting ripped off.

Didn't work for us picked tires on clearance sign said 54 dollars . When we went to the register 88a piece they took every sign down on tires . What can you do then. I will never stop at Wal-Mart again.

I am livid!!! Went to Walmart today
Shelf price for clear ezcontainers was at 9.97 each I grabbed 4 went to the cashier she said they were 15.97 each
I asked for the Manager to honour the shelf price as stated , thats very misleading for the customer she checked and obviously chose to ignore the price noted on shelf she told the cashier they are now 17.95 I specifically asked her if she saw the shelf price she didnt reply.
Well its time to STOP shopping at Walmart. I will tell my friends about this as well. Terrible customer service.

At the Geneseo NY Walmart on 5/24/18 I bought 3 cantaloupe thinking it was going to be the marked price of $1.88. I was charged $2.28 at the register. A manager had to correct it at the service counter. On 6/12 I bought 3 more and was still overcharged which required another manager to correct it, at the register this time but I was charged for 6 so back to the service counter I go. I DON'T BELIEVE THE WRONG PRICING AT THE REGISTER IS A MISTAKE BY WALMART! Check your receipts!

Anonymous

CHECK YOUR TAX CHARGES!! After shopping at Walmart, I checked my receipt when I got home and noticed I was charged 7% sales tax (TAX 1) on my entire bill and another 7% sales tax (TAX I can't remember the number) on an item that cost $12.99 but I didn't have an item that cost that or a combination of items. I took the receipt back to Walmart and no one could figure it out either. The manager refunded the extra tax and gave me a $5.00 gift card. My point is Check your receipt. I'm sure I'm not the only one this has happened to.