Helpful HintsFood Tips

Reuse Pickling Solution

Store bought pickled baby corn is not cheap so I am doing well to replace the little corns with much less expensive canned version of unpickled corn and letting it cure for a couple days in the store bought solution. I bought the replacement corn off a markdown rack for only .75 cents. The pickling solution in the jar is still perfectly good and still potent, so to throw it out would be wasteful. I'd imagine the same could be done with beets.

Another use of the pickling spices is to use it to flavor canned spinach. I love it and my family has always used it, whether the spinach is served hot of cold.

By melody_yesterday

I have just packed a can of baby corn in brine, into a jar of left over pickle juice.

I packed the canned corn, less the brine, into the left over pickle jar and juice and lowered it into a small pan of boiling water. (the top of the jar was about an inch or so from the top of the boiling water, so as not to dilute the juice.)

It heated to about 190 for about 10 mins. I lidded the jar and set it out to cure. We'll see how it turns out.

I'll post the results.