AdviceDogs

Dog Has Recently Become Aggressive

I have a Dachshund named "Starr" that is acting very differently, aggressively toward her sister. Starr is 2 and Beautifull is 3. They grew up with each other. They never used to fight. We recently had 2 sets of puppies (15 total). They're 7 weeks now and almost as big as her.

Starr has attacked the puppies and fought her sister twice. I don't understand why she's doing that. I now have to keep her outside, separate from them. Can you tell me what would cause this behavior all of a sudden? Please help.

Thank you,

By Tirzah from San Diego, CA

I found this for you. I hope it helps! It is a similar situation with advice attached.
http://www.the- … -over-a-toy.html Robyn

Go to ask Cesar Millan a question on net. Pamela

I looked at leerburg.com and I like the articles listed on here under Dominant dogs. Here they are.

http://leerburg … articles.htm#dom
This is a great site for Dog Training Info. I go there all the time for issues in puppies and other dogs. Robyn

Try to remember that you are the dominant character in your dog's life. Sometimes the aggression is a sign that you do not dominate your dogs enough. One intimidation factor that will not hurt your dog, but keep it in it's place, is to hold your dog upside down, when standing up, irrelevant of how much they wiggle. Any time she is caught in the act of being aggressive, dominate her.

I raise boxer puppies so I have been through this several times. Most females will become aggressive with pups in the house. No matter who was "boss" before, the mother will always be the dominant one when pups are around, which is cause for the fighting. Hormones are also running rampant. Give your girls some time apart and when the pups have all been placed in new homes, your girls should get along fine. Make sure that you don't keep putting them together, if they fight often enough, they may never forget that they're mad.

Good Luck

Is it starr or beautiful that had the puppies? It is a protective mode that the mother is in if it is starr that had the puppies, or a jealousy mode if beautiful had them. Do not hang your dog upside down as suggested in one of your replies. If she is the mother it is a natural reaction to anyone who comes near her babies or her, it will wear off and if she is not the mother she will eventually stop. Just don't give to much attention to her when she acts up, this can make her feel like its an attention getter.Play with all of them evenly and speak firmly to her.