Clothing WashersAppliances

Clothing Dye Stained Washer Drum

I used RIT dye to dye a shirt black and now my washing machine is stained black. How do you I get it out? Please help, my washing machine is only a year old.

By Jodi from deWitt, IA

Run a washer full of hot water, detergent, and a cup of chlorine bleach. Do not put in any clothes. The dye packages usually tell you to do this right after dying something. It's possible that all the dye won't come out if it's been awhile since you dyed your clothes.

I would also fill the washer with strong bleach water and turn off the machine to let it set if it's that bad. Have you any soiled shop rags, outdoor mats or such? Put them in the washer making use of the wash cycle when soaking time is over.

Anonymous

Is the dye coming off on to other clothes when you wash them since you did the dyeing? Not trying to be mean but if that's not happening I can't help but wonder why it would really matter that there is a stain inside of a washing machine?