Make Your Own Bird Feeder Suet

This tip is for all you birdwatchers out there! This past summer I decided to start making my own suet. I make up a batch every month and store it in the freezer until I need it. Since it's warm out, I only use a small cylinder shaped wire feeder so the bigger birds can't get on it.

I have had so much fun watching the baby woodpeckers feed on this and they really seem to like it better than the store bought kind. Of course, in the colder months, I will use bigger cages so all can enjoy. I use all generic products, so it's not as expensive to make.

My grown children make jokes about Mom "cooking" for the birds, but that's part of the fun of growing older! We can be a little eccentric if we choose to be! I don't mind though, I'm enjoying myself. I found a recipe online and started with that, then tweeked it as I went along.

By Robbie from IN

Robbie, your description of the birds response to your tweaked recipe makes me want to try it. Would you mind posting it with directions?

This sounds great would like to know how and what ingredients your using.

Any kind of fat but it should be cooked because it will smell terrible if you don't. I remember way back when pork chops had a lot of fat on them. My grandfather used to cut it off after they were cooked and put it out for the birds. You can cut the fat off of pork roast or beef roast and they like it as well as the store bought lind. To hold it together you can buy lard, melt it and put your scraps and some seeds in it.