Reducing Weight of Large Pots

When filling huge flowerpots, reduce the weight and the amount of soil you need by filling the bottom with recycled Styrofoam peanuts or even chunks of Styrofoam. I get pieces when I need them from the dumpster behind a furniture and accessories store.

By Linda

To make my large pots lighter...I have turned tin cans upside down in the bottom of large pots some years. Sometimes I have used plastic green or black pots upside down in the same manner. The tin cans will slowly rust, but so what, by that time it is the end of summer and the annuals are finished anyways. Next year, start with new tin cans.

I also use the plastic containers that the annuals come in. Works great and it saves them from the landfill.

By RON (Guest Post)

Or use empty soda bottles or cans.

Home and Garden Gardening House PlantsMarch 22, 2005
📓
🌻
🐛