AdviceDecorating

Pewter Photo Frames with Brown Walls

I am going to have warm medium brown walls throughout my home. I want to use gray or pewter frames for all artwork and family pictures. I don't like black and am not particularly fond of gold. Will gray or pewter frames work?

By Suellen from Oakdale, CA

It's your home and you can do what you like; that's what's nice about having freedom to make choices.
We all have opinions and ideas are not always what someone else would choose or do. If I were going for any shade of brown, I would use wood frames or antique bronze. To me, pewter goes best with white, black, and shades of grays and blues.

Hold one frame of each color up to the wall. If you like it use it. Bear in mind that you are a grown up and you get to make the decision.

I follow my own rules when it comes to decorating or dressing. I do try and make things go together, but if it is something I like real well I use it. If somebody doesn't like it, that's tough.

I agree with the others, it's your house, do what you want. However, you asked if TF people thought pewter would work. I don't know but I'd buy a couple of frames, not unwrap them but maybe attach them to the wall for a few days and see how it feels to you. I'm thinking it wouldn't be my first choice but then neither would brown walls so maybe you'd like it.

I should have added that all my trimwork is white. the brown is very warm with a hint of yellow. Thanks for the feedbacks.

Have to agree with what has already been stated. I too would never choose brown for walls, just simply because it makes the room look small and cave like. However, if you like it, go for it. I once visited a woman who had dark red walls and painted all of her picture frames the same dark red. It was actually kind of neat. From a distance, or at first glance, you only saw the photograph, as if it was just on the wall, or floating mysteriously. Then as you got closer you realized there was a frame, it appeared to be part of the wall. It was what she liked and it WAS sort of neat.

I have "chocolate pudding" walls in an area of my home and love it. I, too, would pick what you like but use a softer looking texture such as "brushed" silver or "brushed" soft champagne. I liked Glenn's Mom's idea of purchasing but not unwrapping frames and see what suits your taste. Good luck!

Have you considered no frame at all? There are frames that are just glass clipped together or I like the idea SusLuvsVintage suggested where the frames are the same color as the wall, giving emphasis to the contents of the frame rather than the frame itself.