My Frugal Life: Dealing With Big Bills

My Frugal LifeI have been hit with many big bills lately. I have disconnected my caller ID, saving me $7.00 per month. When I drink milk or juice, I add water to the glass first. I just had a glass of milk and put about 1/2 cup water in glass first, then filled the rest of the way with milk. it is perfectly satisfying and goes much further.

I had bought a cheaper brand of dog food but that did NOT work at all. I hated to throw it away or even give it away, so I kept it and have been slowly mixing it with her more expensive canned food. I am still saving money but we don't have the problems we did when we gave her cheap food.

I shop at the food bank. They don't require people to be poor, but they do encourage people at the checkout, if they are employed at a good job, to pay more than the poor folks. It costs $.35 per pound of food so it wouldn't hurt someone to pay $.50 per pound. This sounds crazy but I try to remember to go to the ladies room at work before I go home, need I say more?

I frequently print out recipes from either this website and others. I am getting together my favorites and will be giving them for Christmas this year. I will type them up and print them pretty. I am excited about them.

Sandy from Baltimore

Do you have a frugal story to share with the ThriftyFun community? Submit your essay here: http://www.thriftyfun.com/post_myfrugallife.ldml

By mmgarren@yahoo.com (Guest Post)

Good start. You can also make your own laundry soap, use less products for laundry, personal care, and cooking.

You can cook from scratch, buy genaric food and hundreds of other ideas, too numerous to list.

By Eileen (Guest Post)

Way to go Sandy.

I have also been hit with huge bills, but I don't feed cheap food to my dogs or cats either.

I will do without before I compromise their nutrition.

Good for you, Sandy!

Jennifer
Northern Virginia

By angellfire (Guest Post)

Sandy, Go to www.thecouponclippers.com and get really inexpensive coupons they clip from Sunday supplements just like we do. This keeps my family less poor with food.

By mominga (Guest Post)

Great Job! You set a good example for everyone.

By (Guest Post)

I love these suggestions. Some may sound cooky to the person that is not trying to save any way they can, but to the rest of us they just sound sensible and smart!

Sandy, you go girl!

There is something very endearing about this post. I think it is the enthusiasm and lack of self pity. So very American too, I can do it.

I drink grape juice, about 4 oz., several times a week, but I dilute it with water, almost half and half. I find I prefer the taste like that now. We serve grape juice for our communion at church and even though it's in those tiny cups, the taste is too strong for me now.

Can't stand milk, so that's not a problem.

Better Living Frugal Living My Frugal LifeApril 13, 2006
💘
🍀

Generated 2020-01-10 10:26:09 in 1 secs. ⛅️️ ⚡️

My Frugal LifeFrugal Living