Pets and Maintenance People In the Home

I have two things I do when strangers or maintenance people come into my home. Putting my dogs and cat in the bedroom is one of them. The other is I have a large dog cage (my dogs are small breeds) that I keep in the living room. If the repair is being done in the bedroom or master bath and the person will be going in and out, I put all 3 animals in the cage. That way they are secure and not under foot, and I also don't have to worry about them running out.

If my husband is at home, I might take the dogs outside in the back yard for a while depending on the weather. But if he's not and I'm here alone, I keep them in the bedroom.

By being in the cage, the dogs can also still watch what's going on and don't get as upset as they would if they were closed off in another bedroom.

By Cricket from Parkton, NC

Be careful. You might better put the dogs in the bedroom and hide the crate. Someone I knew had their house robbed after a delivery, by it turned out, the delivery people. They knew the dogs were crated and so would not be a threat to them when they came back.

The only time my dogs are crated like that is when maintenance people come in. Otherwise they have the run of the house. I don't believe in leaving them crated for any length of time.