Updating a Bathroom with Pinkish Burgundy Fixtures and Shower?

I live in a townhouse, which was built in 1986, with 3 full baths and 1 half bath. Two of the full baths are fine. The master bath and the half bath, however have fixtures (and 1 shower is tiled) in a pinkish burgundy that looks unfashionable. Is there a way that I can decorate the rooms around the fixtures, or is there a good product that will cover the color and a good paint to use over that?

By Pat from Morris Plains, NJ

I would use black accessories.

Bronze Feedback Medal for All Time! 186 Feedbacks

Tiles can be painted, ask at your home improvement store if you are interested in doing that.

Hi Pat! I'm laughing with you, not at you! We once moved into a rental that had a bright, lavender colored sink, toilet and tub and shower surround in the one bathroom small home. Talk about a decorating nightmare! :)

I don't have any painting recommendations (as others have suggested, talk with the pros at paint stores if you try this) but if you decide to work around the existing fixtures and tiles, consider very light pastel prints, patterns or solids for curtains, shower curtains, towels, sheet-rocked areas that could be painted, accessories, etc.

Somehow, the subtleness of the pale yellow, green, pink & blue pastels I ended up using softened the harshness of the bold lilac color and it was a very thrifty solution for the time being. Good luck!

Wow, I remember that color from the 80's! :) Right now, one of the hot color combinations for decorating is pink and brown. I would consider getting brown shower curtains, towels, and accent pieces to modernize the bathroom a bit.

And if the color isn't quite the right one to go with the brown, perhaps some lighter pink accents in the same family, to tie it all together. Good luck!

I'm laughing at you, not with you. Why on earth would anybody need that many bathrooms unless one was training new recruits into the army?

Bronze Feedback Medal for All Time! 107 Feedbacks

Wow, that's a lot of bathrooms! lol I wouldn't want to clean them all but on the positive side, no one has to hold it in...ever! hehe As for a color combination. I liked the idea of brown but a very dark brown. Then add some very white trim. Hmmm, good luck!

Home and Garden Home Improvement Decorating Room Color SchemesMarch 31, 2011
🍀
🎂
💘
https://www.thriftyfun.com/tf70685610.tip.html