How to Remodel an Outdated Bathroom

My house was built in the early 70s. The toilet and tub are in one small area separated by a small wall and a narrow pocket door. Then the sink and vanity are located as part of the master bedroom. I like the openness of the vanity, but hate the carpet in front of the vanity. I'm leaning toward just laying tile in front of the vanity. I though of removing the wall separating the two areas and enclosing the two with a regular door. But I decided against that because I like the openness of the vanity. Anyone had this bathroom layout and how did you remodel?

Thanks.

I agree with leaving the wall. Most people would appreciate the privacy, and this would be something that would impress future buyers.

I lived in an 80s townhouse with the same situation. Some of the models had the carpet (yuck). Ours had a pretty tile with metal surround that was decorative. I don't know what it was called, but it kept the carpet in the bedroom from touching the tile and protected it from getting wet. It looked really nice, but I will tell you it took getting used to be cause it was a very tiny step down from the carpet to the tile and I often would stub my toes if I wasn't paying attention. I thought they should be level but I get it that you don't want the carpet and tile to touch.

I am sure Pinterest has lots of ideas on getting this concept into the 21st century!!

I agree with not taking down the wall.

Anonymous

Thanks Judy. I don't mind the tile and carpet touching I just have to find a tile that doesn't clash with the carpet.

You are in luck because you can get expert free help at Lowe's or Home Depot as well as some other stores.
Both of these stores (in my area) have a help center and they will be able to help you decide just how to do this and even help you pick out nice colors.

They also have instructions on how to remove the carpet and how to lay the tile and also how to trim it out.
It is possible that an Ace Hardware employee could help you with this remodeling also.