AdviceDogs

Dog is Greedy With Its Food How Do I Stop This?

How can I stop my dog, that is a German Shepherd/Husky mix, from being so greedy about food?

By Ashleigh from Alnwick, Northumberland

There's a company called GreedyPup that makes bowls to help keep dogs from inhaling their food. Kinda work.

Since you also submitted about keeping your dog happy, this idea might help both ways. Go to a good pet shop and see if they have a rather large "treat" ball, in which you can place all, or at least half of your dogs ration of food. This gives the dog the job of rolling the ball, causing the food to come out slowly, (that is, of course, if you feed dry, which i feel is better for teeth anyway). This way your dog uses the prey drive to go after the food, and it does take time to chase around, thus keeping him/her busy for awhile. We found this to work well with our little spayed female, as she was not happy with the amount she got in order to stay at a healthy weight. She now enjoys the chase as much as the food. Hope this helps, from Loretta in Theodore, Alabama

You need to teach the dog you are the boss of his food and make him do a command in order to earn his food. After you scoop it into the bowl, put it down and make him wait in a "sit" until you say "OK." If he goes for the food before you say "OK" stop him and start over, putting him back in a "sit" position. You may have to stand in front of the bowl at first, but as you build up this routine he will be able to sit for as long as you want until you tell him "OK." I had to start off slowly with my dog. At first I'd only make her wait 3 seconds, but now she'll wait for minutes if I want her to. Do not let him eat until you say "OK." It's good for you and the dog to have a routine like this. If they get too territorial over the food it could lead to aggression about food later. You need to get this under control early, trust me. And good luck!

The people before me have had some good ideas that you should look into. When you say greedy, do you mean he is pushing you around about the food, he eats too fast, or what? With my own greedy eater, I make sure that he has his own little bowl (he has the smallest bowl) and he gets on his pillow to eat next to his bowl. The other dogs do not mess with him and everyone is happy. He feels like he owns his little corner and his little bowl. With territorial greed, this works. But if the greediness has to do with the inhalation of their food, you may need to feed in two or three small meals during the day, use a bowl that makes them work for food, or turn feeding times into a reward for following commands. We also make sure and feed at the same time every day, routine is important for animals. That way, they don't expect to eat any other time, including when we are eating! Good Luck.