AdviceFood Tips

Ordering Bulk Dried Goods

Our family would like to purchase 20 pound (or larger) bags of rice, oatmeal, different flours and other dried products. Is there a website that anyone would suggest for large amounts with low costs? We live a distance from any food co-ops etc. Thanks

MomtoAll from In Bliss

I get mine from Amish and Mennonite grocery stores. Do you have any near you?

Try a international grocery if you have a Global Foods around you also we get spices from Spice Barn they might have more products

I just wait till there's a good sale on that stuff (and we use a lot of it). Then I buy in bulk. That comes out to be way cheaper than even Costco, the only bulk store we have in town. I also check out the bulk foods section in the local stores and compare to the prepackaged section. Sometimes it's much cheaper to get the prepackaged on sale and then it's already stored and portioned out for you.

You really have to regularly bake for an army to use up 20 lb bags of flours. Even if well sealed they do go stale at a point. If you do go and buy your super bulk bags you'll need hefty plastic containers with air proof seals to store everything in. You have to consider freshness, insects and rodents when storing such items.

That gets expensive and then you have to look at shipping costs on top of that. It also takes up quite a lot more space than you'd think to store everything. Also, are you prepared to shift around all that weight everytime you need to restock your smaller kitchen canisters?

Here is a good site for ordering bulk. No matter how much you order, it is only $4.99 for shipping and they have a good variety.

http://store.honeyvillegrain.com/

It will depend on what you pay locally for your groceries, but www.bulkfoods.com has good prices for bulk items, compared to my local prices. They also sell 1 and 5 lb. "trial sizes" for things you possibly haven't had and don't want to buy 50 lbs. of.

Go to LDS.Org, gospel library. Order church material, scroll down to family home storage, click and you can order from there, no shipping and you don't have to be LDS to buy!

Bulkfoods.com is great, and if you order $70 or more, shipping is free. They offer a great variety of grains, nuts, dried fruits, spices, herbs, candies, flours, and other things. I have ordered from them before, and they are trustworthy.

Walton Feed is a great place to buy from. Shipping is not bad, and if you buy enough, it comes freight. They are out of Montpelier, ID, and their site is:

http://waltonfeed.com/ They generally have a back log, so order soon.

I agree, Walton Feed is an excellent source of bulk food. I used to buy cereal, oatmeal, soy beans, other beans, etc. in 25# sacks. The prices were good & the products were excellent.

Thank you all for your suggestions! I'll be ordering soon.