WildlifeGreen Living

Caring for Baby Starlings

I would love to hear from any of you who have been successful at taking care of baby starlings before they are transported to rescue and rehab. If anyone has pet starlings would you tell me what they eat for a captive diet? I need real knowledge from people and animal volunteers who have been there and done that. Also any info on what not to do in bird rehab of non native species. Thanks!

By Robyn Fed from Hampton, TN

There's lot of info online go to-Caring for Baby Starlings-good luck.

I have raised baby birds that have fallen from the nest. I am talking about so small they had no feathers. They grow fast. I fed them bits of soft cat food on the end of a flet toothpick. I whistled when I approached and they chirped and opened their mouths. When they got feathers I took them out to a small tree and sat them on branches. When they hopped to the ground they followed me.

I turned over rocks and pointed to rolly poly bugs with my finger tapping the ground. They ate them. Soon they could fly to me and then they were gone. I did not try to call them after they flew away because I did not want them to become so tame they would be in harms way. My intention was not to make pets of them. I dampened the soft cat food with a few drops of water but I don't know if it was the right amount or not. I am sure these days there is info out there to help. This was a long time ago.