Grocery ShoppingShopping

Thrifty Grocery Shopping

I have found over the years that if I use a shopping list, I tend to spend less money. Depending on the layout of the store that you shop in, make up a form such as this one on your computer and save it so you can print one out any time you need it. I keep my list on the fridge and write down items as needed. I also try to plan my meals ahead of time, so I know what extra items I may need to purchase. By sticking to my list once in the store, my pocketbook is a lot happier!

By Mary from Palm Coast, FL

That's a great idea, I never thought about breaking my list down into compartments like that. Thanks.

Reply Like this photo? Yes

Great minds think alike! I have four different grocery lists based on the aisles at each store I shop at. The name of the store goes at the top. I also put down what I'll be making for each night of the week and where the recipe can be found (e.g., cookbook name and page number). That way, if the ingredients can't be found I don't have to spend the money on the other ingredients that go with the dish. I'll just think of something different for that night.

Reply Like this photo? Yes

We do our grocery shopping in a similar manner, Mary, and have found that it's a lot less time spent in the grocery store (although I do enjoy shopping), and of course, a much more economical way to shop moneywise. I've never drawn out a diagram of the store, and I think

doing that would be very helpful.

I keep my list on the countertop so that I can jot down exactly what we want or need. Before leaving home then, I'll check out the can cabinet, the staple supplies and the fridge for butter, eggs, milk, cream cheese, and all the other items that we keep in that cold area. I'm not the only person doing the cooking around our house, so once in a while, an item is used

without my being aware that it was the last or nearing the bottom of the barrel.

I don't keep as much in the freezer during the summer as I do in the winter because of possible hurricanes, so we do have to shop a bit more often which has worked to my benefit. If I forget something, I don't have to wait very long before having the opportunity to get it, and the grocery stores are very close to the house.

It'll take a few trips to do this "section / item" format for each of the supermarkets we shop in, as they all seem to be laid out just a little differently, but once I know them, I can write down the needed item in the right place on my list.

Thank you for an excellent tip. This old dog loves new tricks. :-)

Pookarina

Reply Like this photo? Yes

Thanks for the feedback ladies along with some good tips also! I too, jot down my meals on the back of that list. I put a number next to each meal and then jot the corresponding number next to any items that I'm buying special for any of those meals. So, if while in the store, I have to drop an idea for a meal, I don't spend extra purchasing the items no longer needed. Once you write up your form and start using it, you almost feel lost without it because it really does help a lot. Great added ideas ladies and I will use them! Great minds do think alike!

Reply Like this photo? Yes