Fruit TreesGardening

Starting Mango Seeds

I am growing a mango tree in zone 8, El Paso, TX. Most sites will tell you to start your seed in a ziploc bag and plant it once it has roots. Whenever I did this, my seed died. So I decided to start by just planting it.

After eating your mango, scrub the pit gently to make it easier to handle. Gently pry open the pit and pull out the seed inside. Be very careful not to damage the seed. A small nick should be OK. Peel off the paper-like skin and plant your seed.

I planted mine about 2 inches deep. Make sure you plant it in a large pot, because you don't want to re-pot it too soon. They are very delicate.

Mangoes grow in humid areas. So if you are in the desert, make sure to keep it well watered. I planted 5 seeds, and only 1 grew. Be patient and don't lose hope. My dad also planted a few seeds, and 2 of his are growing.

My tree is still small, only about a foot tall but it's still growing and sprouting new leaves. Good luck.

By MTorres from El Paso, TX

Thanks for the advice, I have two and was wanting to plant them. Now I have directions to start. I live in South Texas, so humidity will help.

Anonymous

I live in El Paso too. How did your tree do?