KitchenDecorating

Is it OK to Have Two Different Cabinet Finishes in a Kitchen?

I have white painted cupboards and would like to add to these cupboards. Would it be okay to add maple cupboards and leave them woodtone along with the current white cabinets in my kitchen?

By Darlene from Newfane, NY

Darlene, it's your house and your kitchen. It's perfectly okay to do whatever is pleasing to your eye. Would all the so called "professional designers" approve? Who cares? I personally like a mixed, eclectic design scheme. Again, do what you love and enjoy!

Does it look good to you? Do the cabinets function well and hold everything you want to store? Do the new cabinets blend with the counter and floor? Personally, I have bathroom vanities as part of my kitchen cabinets because there is a window in my kitchen with a sill too low for normal base cabinets. The 3 vanities blend in as they have the same color counter top. It is YOUR kitchen. If you like the look, do it.

To merge the white and maple together, I would decorate with white where the maple cabinets are and use maple color where the white cabinets are.

As a person who has a lemon yellow living room I emphatically say do as you please. It's yours.

I would do some oak-grained design on the white cabinets, not lots, but a scroll, or a flower, like everyone else says, if you feel good in your kitchen, who cares what others say. Mine is two toned wood and looks fine.

Anything you like is fine. It is your house and everybody has different taste. You don't have to follow any rules. Just enjoy your home.