SubstitutionsFood Tips

Alternatives to Sugar in Recipes

I have a craving for something sweet but also am trying to watch what I eat. I know in the past I have seen recipes for baked goods that replace all or part of the sugar with something else, but I can't remember what it is. The hard part is that I don't want to use a sugar substitute. So the question is, what can I use in baked goods recipes (cookies, cakes, muffins) other than sugar? But not a sugar substitute.

By Jakesbayba from Mililani, HI

I have used sugar free pancake syrup and sugar free honey with good results. Also unsweetened fruit juices.

One of the most safest sweeteners you can use in baking is Stevia. I purchase powdered Stevia in the health food store. Stevia is a plant and has its origin in the country of Paraguay and several other countries. They have been using Stevia in the Orient for over thousands of years.

http://www.stevia.com/

http://www.stev … quivalencies.asp

I also will not use Splenda because it contains chemicals which can be harmful to your health.

Another person submitted a post on sugar free pancake syrup and sugar free honey. You have to be careful of sugar free foods because they all contain an artificial sweetener to replace the sugar.

Always read labels whenever you go shopping!

Use honey. Also, in my baked goods such as Banana bread. I use egg whites only and lessen the amount of flour and substitute ground oatmeal. I also use applesauce with a smaller amount of oil. I find it is better with just a bit of oil.

From the cookbook "Cookies Naturally" by Shirley Hartung on sugar substitutions: "Honey; maple syrup; unsweetened juices;dried, fresh, or naturally candied fruits; barley malt; apple syrup; rice syrup.

Apple Syrup: is an apple concentrate, and, like apple butter , has no added sugar. It is available in most grocery stores and is a healthy alternative to corn syrup-as is malt syrup

Malt Syrup: available in health food stores, is made from barly. It will continue to ferment if left at room temperature, therefore must be refrigerated. It must also be allowed to come to room temperature before using, as it is too thick to work with when cold.

Rice Syrup: a natural sweetener make completely from rice. No preservatives, salt, or artificial colours or flavours are added. Hypoallergenic. I found cookies do not bake as golden when using rice syrup.

Here is a recipe from the book as well:

Changeable Chip Cookies (also contains no milk)

2/3 c. liquid honey

1/2 c. blended butter, blended marg or oil(I favor oil myself)

2 eggs

2-1/4 c. whole wheat flour or other choice

1 tsp baking soda

1 c. coarsely chopped pecans

1/2 c. sugar-free carob chips OR unsweetened coconut or 1 c. granola

For spicy variation

Add 1 tsp cinnamon, 1/2 tsp ground cloves and 1/8 tsp nutmeg

Preheat oven to 375*F. Beat first 4 ingredients. Sift flour and soda. Add to first mixture. Stir in remaining ingredients you choose to use.

Drop batter by tablespoonfuls onto non-stick cookie sheet. Press lightly with floured tines of a fork. Bake 10-15 minutes or until golden. 90 cal per cookie

This book includes an excellent mix and substitution list at the back.

Applesauce, plus makes it more moist. When I use something like this I also use less oil.

Have used "Splenda" for some time now..excellent results. This product has been tested for many years and declared safe to use. I get many of my recipes online from "d life" which is a diabetic site with great recipes many of which use Splenda.

If you can find it, and it is becoming more available, try agave syrup. It is natural and doesn't affect blood sugar like honey or maple syrup. I get it a Trader Joe's. It is now in our supermarket too.

If you're cutting down or out sugar in your diet you will get used to the less sweet taste. Try cutting back on the amount of sugar in recipes ( I think they said by half) but use cinnamon and ginger to trick your taste buds. I used frozen apple juice concentrate in muffin recipes with good success. If I can find the recipe I'll post it here. It's healthy and sweet and higher fiber too.

I love stevia as well. It is a naturally occuring plant, and what we buy is from the leaf. It is between 15 and 300 times sweeter than sugar, so you won't need much of it. It has been used as a sweetener in Central and South America for thousands of years with no ill side effects. I got some from Whole Foods, but I've seen it at Walmart.