PaintingHome Improvement

Primer Showing Through Paint

I just bought a house that had dark colors on the walls, like a purple kitchen and chocolate brown walls. We primed everything with Kilz primer and did 2 coats because the original paint was bleeding through the primer. Then we proceeded to paint the walls the color we chose which was a beige color.

Overall the paint job looks great but here and there on the walls you can see spots of white primer that still bled through our beige paint. Would I need to take a paint brush or roller and touch up the areas that only need to be touched up or does the whole entire wall need a second coat? I was afraid if the whole wall needed a second coat, my beige could appear too dark. Any thoughts?

By Melissa

Anonymous

When painting beige over white, it is easy to miss painting a spot here and there because the colors are so close in value, and sometimes you don't see the missed area until the paint is dry or the lighting in the room changes. If it is just missed spots, it isn't necessary to paint a second coat unless there is a massive amount of white showing through, and another coat could make the walls a little darker.

I would use an almost dry paint brush to get just the missed areas.

If these aren't just missed spots, and the primer is actually bleeding through as your post said, you might have an altogether different problem.

Exactly why I don't use Kliz. Top coats don't cover the Klitz, no matter how many coats you put on.

Go with a second or maybe a third coat.