Whirlpool Ice Maker Not Working

Category Ice Machines
Whirlpool Ice Maker
When the ice maker stops working you can call the repair man or try troubleshooting the cause yourself. This is a guide about a Whirlpool ice maker not working.

I have a Whirlpool gold Conquest that will not make ice, the filter light is on and will not reset. Where is the filter to change?

By Gary M. from Knowlton, NJ

Answer Was this helpful? 1

If you have paid for you to get The Power of Attorney on your mother (as I had to do here in NC) then yes, you can move the money where ever you see fit, "If it is in her best interests" and you could within a shadow of a doubt proof it to a court if asked to by a representative of her or another sibling.

I had just replaced the water filter, a Pur for a Whirlpool side by side refrigerator, and the ice maker stopped working. I took it out and the ice maker started working without the filter in. I am now, on to the next step of letting the ice maker proceed for a few cycles without a filter, then seeing what happens with the new filter reinstalled. I have never had the issue before and have replaced the water filter many, many times over the last 10 years.

After the second dump of ice and fill up of water, the ice maker was turned off (don't know if it was on or off when replacing the filter earlier), the new filter was once again installed. The ice maker was turned back on. Success! About 1:30 minutes later the ice dumped and refilled itself. Don't know if turning the ice maker off when replacing the filter, as it said to do in a youtube, made the difference or if the filter wasn't seated properly, or some other unknown reason was responsible for the malfunction. Thought I would give some suggestions as to what might make a difference in the ice maker's performance. Good luck to you.

Could it be that the filter is faulty and not letting water flow to the ice maker? We've never had problems with the ice maker and filter like this, though our old ice maker froze up a couple of times and had to be thawed out to start working again.

I have a Whirlpool Gold refrigerator freezer. The water dispenser in the door works, but no ice will form. From the back it looks like no water is in the tube for the icemaker. Also, the ice dispenser has the old fashioned "frost" on it. What causes this?

By Judy from TN

Answer Was this helpful? 1

Our Whirlpool refrigerator recently flooded our kitchen. It had been making popping sounds from the icemaker when attempting to push the ice out of the cube maker for about 2 weeks. Last night it made no noise, but poured water through the freezer and onto the floor. Any suggestions on what part or parts may have failed?

By Rick from Hartwood, VA

I'm not sure how yours looks, but all ice makers get the water from the same place. There is a 1/4" hose connected to the water pipes, somewhere in back of the fridg. Pull it out from the wall & take off the lower cover, so you can see into the underneath. Then have someone turn on the water & look at the hose all the way & if the hose is cracked & leaking, then you can replace the hose & fittings. Take them all to your nearest hardware store. You can find out how to put them back so they don't leak & the hose itself. These hoses get old & crack. They have to withstand high pressure & so sometimes they just go. Make sure you use a crescent wrench to undo the connections. You can tear them up if you are not careful with these metal fittings.

My Whirlpool ice maker makes ice. It dispenses solid ice, but when crushed ice is selected the ice maker jams.

By Gust

My Whirlpool ice maker was barely making any ice. Now it has completely quit. I cycled the unit, but that was no help. I tried to switch wires on valve luges to a different size. The fill tube froze up. I cleaned both the inside tube and the plastic tube through back of the refrigerator. Then I cycled the unit again. This time I heard the valve open, but very little water came into the cube tray. Any other thoughts?

My Whirlpool side by side stopped making ice yesterday. It still dispenses water. Where should I look?

Thanks.
Rich

By Rich from Hamden, CT

Answers:

Ice Maker Not Working

We just had the same problem and it was the ice maker motor. The repair man said that it typically breaks and he replaced the part with a more appropriate longer lasting part.
(11/21/2009)

By rustycrystal