OtherRecycling

Sprinkle Used Coffee Grounds Around Plants

To keep your potted flowers and vegetables growing really well, take a plastic jug or bottle and fill it with water and add a few tablespoonfuls of used coffee grounds. Let this stand a few days then use it to water your plants every other time you water. This sounds silly, but all my plants love it and they grow great. Plus, you recycle your old coffee grounds instead of throwing them into the trash.

Source: A friend told me

By laramay from Portland, OR

For acid-loving plants?

If coffee grounds are already moldy can they still be used outside? What can be added to the grinds so they don't spread the mold?

By Mary Ellen from Ontario, Canada

Answers:

Excellent question. You could do either or both. The powdery or gray mold is not going to hurt anything in the soil or your compost. Good luck. (04/18/2010)

By kffrmw88

I know coffee grounds are good for the garden, but are they also good for indoor plants?

By Joyce M. from Pittsburgh, PA

Answers:

As an experiment this year, I not only used coffee grounds in the garden and yard, I also used them in the house. All of the plants that I used them on showed no ill effects, and surprisingly, a couple had more growth than at any other time. I even tried "watering" a few with watered down, cooled coffee. The result was amazing. One in particular, a cactus, grew several inches high, and sprouted lots of shoots. This same plant had not shown any significant growth the previous 2 years. Why not try it? I also tried this on a couple of tomato plants, and they did well, also. Good luck. (10/23/2009)

By marymary22

Check online with your state's extension site. Ask the question. It depends on the plant. The acidity could change the PH dramatically or it may not hurt it at all. Make sure you work it into the soil to avoid little bugs that hatch in compost (grounds). (10/23/2009)

By T and T Grandma

I put the coffee grounds from my morning pot of coffee on my azaleas and my hydrangea plants.

Source: My mother.

By djxn from Colfax, CA

Answers:

It used to be possible to get coffee grounds free from Starbucks. They were glad to get rid of them and had them pre-bagged for people to help themselves. They are also supposed to be good for keeping cats from fouling around your plants. We don't have a Starbucks locally so I don't know if they still do it. We used to take them home when we were on holiday :-) (06/13/2009)

By skinnyjinny

Don't add your coffee grounds to the landfill. Your garden will appreciate them much more! Sprinkle coffee grounds around your plants and trees. You can also compost coffee grounds. It's easy being green.

Note: Coffee (and tea) is toxic to dogs, so please be sure to not sprinkle the grounds where your curious canine can eat them.

By Laura from Long Beach, CA

Answers:

Can coffee grounds from flavored coffee also be used? (01/05/2008)

By Maryeileen

Use left-over coffee from the pot to water your houseplants. It is great, natural plant food. African violets love it. If there is just a little coffee left, add enough water to get them all watered. Keep coffee black, no cream or sugar, ha! Phyllis (03/31/2009)

By adriarobi