Cooking TipsFood Tips

How can I tell if a dish is oven safe?

How could I tell if a dish is oven safe such as Bakewear, Ovenwear and Pyrex. It has no indication. I know how to tell if a dish is microwave safe, but I am sure it is not same.

Thanks,
Anne from Lewiston, ME

By Linda. (Guest Post)

Generally, any clear glass cookware is micro-safe, unless it has a metallic painted edge or trim.

You could put it on a baking sheet, fill it with water, stick it in the oven at 350 degrees for 10 mins. along side of a similar baking dish that you know is oven safe and see if they get equally hot.
If the one in question breaks, the cookie sheet will possibly hold the pieces. Are you absolutely sure you want to do this?

By (Guest Post)

To test for the microwave, place a cup of water in a micro-safe measuring cup in the microwave oven, along with the EMPTY dish you are testing. Turn the microwave on HIGH for 1 minute. If the test dish becomes warm or hot, it is NOT microwave safe. The cup of water should prevent any damage during the test.

Guest Home Economist

By okpondlady (Guest Post)

Usually if it is ovenproof or dishwasher proof, the pan will say so on the bottom. If not, I wouldn't put there. :)

There are just pictures on the bottom.