Repairing Dresser Drawers and Pulls

Category Furniture
A useful storage furniture that can take a beating over time, and need some attention to keep it working properly. This guide is about repairing dresser drawers and pulls.

For loose dresser knobs that will not remain tightened, you might consider bow or ribbon ties. This will work best in children's rooms, bedrooms and bathrooms, since the look is rather feminine. I was so frustrated with my bedroom chest of drawers that I took out the hardware and threaded pretty ribbons through the holes. I made bows, and now, whenever I open a drawer, it tightens the bow. No more problem! Just a simple solution to a small frustration.

By Janet

Make sure the wood is very dry and sanded well. Shellac them and then rub with paraffin wax in order to lubricate them so they slide easily. Do this to all surfaces of the drawers.

By Marti M.

Use Johnson wax to wax the runners on sticky dresser drawers. Makes the drawers slide smoothly. This can make sticky secondhand furniture drawers slide smoothly. It can work wonders even on cheap runners.

By Lisa from Urbana, IL

This guide is about dresser drawers stuck closed. When a chest of drawers do not open, there are a few things you can try to get the drawers to move freely.

Read More... Was this helpful? Yes

My dressing table drawer is too smooth and does not remain closed. As soon as I close it it rolls back to fully open state. How do I fix up?

By Anil

Answers

Put a rubber band under the roller that should stop it or a plastic grocery bag under the drawer.

It may be the dresser isn't level. If you have a level, place it from the front to the back. If it's not level, the bubble will be off. You can either shorten the back legs or prop up the front. I hope that helps.

You can reinforce dresser or desk drawers by cutting small rectangular pieces of wood and screwing them into the back corners of the drawers.

By ThriftyFun

Answers

I have seen a small trianglar piece of wood (like a piece of molding) that is glued to the inside of the corners to reinforce the angle of the corner. Or perhaps you could use L brackets. Just a thought.