Reuse Small Candle Jars For Food Storage

I was looking for spice jars in a popular department store the other day and could not find individual jars. So, I gave up and decided to do some browsing. While going down the candle aisle, it dawned on me that the smallest candle jars would be the perfect size for spice jars. They were a dollar apiece. Not only would I have a beautiful spice jar, but I could enjoy a nice scented candle in the process! They are large enough at the mouth to fit a tablespoon size measuring spoon and will look very nice once organized in my pantry.

I just melt the leftover wax in a pan of water and pour it out, then wipe clean with a paper towel and wash. I then take off the label and put my own spice label on it.

By 007jenny from Monticello, MN

You really should not ever put food in a container that was not meant for food. In the old days we could do it but now there are just too many chemicals in glass and plastic that can leatch into our food. Who knows how much lead was in the candle that seeped into the pores of the glass.

I would think that cleaning it very well, it'd be safe as it's glass but perhaps you could check with the candle maker. I have seen similar jars to this for sale, probably at Wal-Mart. They are glass with the airtight rubber type stopper around the lid. I do not believe they are too expensive. You'd be totally safe that way plus you don't have to buy a candle to get the jar. I think I'd feel safer reusing the candle jars for non-food items. What I do is save nice glass spice bottles like the kind McCormick comes in to use for spice blends I make up or just any small glass jar with lid. I prefer to recycle something I already have and have used the (food) contents. I can see tho how you would like those nice little candle jars for spices. They do look nice; however you say they will be in your pantry so they'll just be seen by you. An empty olive jar, pickle or relish jar works fine for me! Then you won't have to worry about any possible leftover chemical from the candle.

Does the scent from the candle come completely out of the plastic rim? Generally once a scent gets on plastic it is tough to ever remove it. There are several places you can buy inexpensive jars that are empty and you wouldn't have to deal with any residual scents. Just a thought.

After removing the wax and washing the jars there was not a hint of the scent left over from the candle. I like that the cover makes a nice seal and think that it does keep the spices fresh for a longer period of time.

Anonymous

I buy empty Yankee candle jars. Feel Free to contact me at kwilson521 AT yahoo.com.

Anonymous

I did that 

Love the way they look 

Sooo cute