PlumbingHome

Unclogging a Pipe Under the House Without an Auger

My pipe under my trailer is backed up. We do not use baby wipes in my house, but they are coming up out of the pipe. I do not have the money to rent a auger. And my landlord wants to charge 2000 dollars to unclog it. What can I do?

By Cheryl from Louisville, KY

If you aren't using baby wipes ask the landlord for proof that the pipe is clogged due to your actions. I had a landlord try that with me years ago. I had just had a baby and septic backed up into my mobile home. His wife came over and yelled that if my sanitary pads were in the pipes I would be paying for the repair. Well they hired someone to check it out and it was the roots of a tree that had clogged the system. Let the landlord know that you are wanting proof before he can make you pay and I seriously doubt he can make you pay. Good luck.

A few years back my in-laws were in a senior mobile home park ( that permitted residents who'd been there a long while to have household members 18 years old + living there, too, as long as one resident was over 55). Anyhow, they had a problem like yours, except the clog was being caused by feminine sanitary items. Their park manager threatened them with unclog fees, too.

Problem was, my MIL had long been menopausal and there was no way my in-laws produced it. Lease in hand, she went to the manager's office and noted the part that stated that the park was responsible for maintaining sanitary conditions. It turned out the main line was clogged and made their individual line back up because the next-door neighbor's menstruating daughter was jamming sanitary pads down the toilet.

If there's no baby in your place, I'd go back to the park office and raise Hades. If management is still trying to get you to foot the bill, I'd complain to your local Board of Health or Sewer Utilities inspection department and run the situation past them.

If the park is not keeping the main lines clear, it is their problem, not your bill to shoulder.

I agree with the other suggestions. It sounds like a backup problem to me. In the meantime, maintain your own drains by putting 2 tablespoons of yeast down the drain weekly. The yeast helps to get rid of grease and food. I buy my yeast in the bulk food store.