Faux Stained Glass (Directions)

contest winner icon

I have an inexpensive and easy tip on how to make faux stained glass windows (or anything glass) using clear Contac paper and any craft store paint for $1.00 or less a bottle. This project is only practical on small windows such as are in your front door or small bathroom windows. Best of all, you can remove it very easily if you don't like the results.

I also put a coat of preservative on it when I was finished painting, also inexpensive.

Directions

1. Measure the exact size you need on the back of the Contac paper. It's already marked off in inches so it's very easy. Then cut it out.
  2. Using a regular #2 pencil I drew the outline directly onto the front of the Contac paper. I then filled it in with the desired colors. It took two coats. I used the regular water based craft paint sold in craft stores and Walmart. It's less than a dollar a bottle and when on sale a lot cheaper.
  3. After the paint was dry, I outlined the entire pattern with a black ink Sharpie pen.
  4. I then removed the backing from the Contac, using a paper towel dunked in wet, soapy water I applied that to the Contac before positioning it on the window. The soapy water is to give you a little extra time to move it around before it adheres, making it easier to get it on straight. When that was dry and had been on a couple days I then applied the water based varnish or preservative (sold along with the paint), which will make it easier to wipe off to clean.

I used the flash on the camera which threw a glare on the photo. It actually looks like the bottom part of the picture.

By June from Erie, PA

Hi June, This is terrific. I would love to try this!

Looks wonderful!

Looks great.

You did a really beautiful job. Do you have other examples?

cool

You can also do faux stained glass on similar principles using acetate sheets - they do fade over time, tho- how do yours stand up?

Thank you for the instructions and the picture.
I really hope to try to do this soon, maybe
a theme, one for 4th of July or something.
And for Christmas.

Wow, great job June and thanks for sharing. I plan on giving this a try.

Hi June, Thank you for the directions. I can't paint, but I am going to put the contact paper on the window first and tape the picture to the back and then I will be able to "draw" it onto the contact paper. You are FANTASTIC!

Oh, June, this is beautiful! What a smart lady
you are...an incredible project to try. Thank you!

Anonymous

this is so great i am going to give it a try!! thanks for sharing!! Dar in Texas

All the "would like to try this" makes me a little crazy. Who actually did this? I would like to know before I deck out about 20 bucks for supplies.

Editor's Note: The original poster actually did this.

Absolutely love it. Great detailed instructions with very helpful tips. Thank you for posting this!

I found it just as easy to use the black puff paint to outline the design. The varnish I used was very shiny & water-soluable(?) too. It didn't smudge the puff paint at all when I let everything dry for 48 hours first.

I put the whole picture onto an old piece of glass from a picture frame I had & placed it in my livingroom window by hanging it with fishing line after I drilled small holes in the two upper corners. It's still there after 10 years & washes up like a dream. Oh, I too used the paints available from Wal-mart.