Installing Tile Countertops

I have some relatively ugly laminate countertops from the 70s. I was wondering if I could put tile down on top of them? If so, what do I need to use to prep the counters before putting the tile down?

Lewis from Port Orchard, WA

By Mel in Texas (Guest Post)

Yes, you can cover them with tile. I would go to a Home Depot and ask them. Probably just sand it down a little. Apply the glue, tile, then grout. Be sure to seal really well to keep from staining. Use a darker grout also. You'll love it!

I know this is an old post but in case anyone else is searching for this like I just was ...

http://www.ronh  m/html/614a.html

There is a special grout which resists stains. It feels and looks a little different from regular grout. It costs much more too but well worth the money spent.

Installers don't like to "work with it" but insist on it. They won't be living with it but you will.