Making Gravy Mix Taste Homemade

How can I spruce up a gravy mix to taste "homemade"?

Cindy from Key West, FL

I use broth instead of water when I'm using packets of dry mix. I also add chipped cooked giblets to the dry and to jars when I use that.

My mother always added the pan drippings to gravy mix.

It tasted like it was home made!

By Sharon L M. (Guest Post)

Add your turnip or potato water to the mix!

I like to add fresh, sliced sauteed mushrooms to mine. Or you could just burn it :)

By Darrell (Guest Post)

Add pan drippings or some additional beef base or chicken base. Chicken or beef base can be found by soup or bouillon in the grocery store or in the spice aisle at Sam's Club. It's also great for soups or making a sauce or gravy.

If you're making a turkey or beef roast, there's not a better substitute for real gravy. Just thicken the broth with corn starch dissolved in water and whisk it quickly as you heat it.

I, also, add pan drippings for chicken or turkey gravy, plus put some black pepper in. (Not alot) If it is beef or pork mix, add some onion powder along with some pepper, plus some drippings.

Thanks to all! I hope others also got a bit of 'gravy info'. I have been (for this year) making gravy for thirty or more years. Thanks again, Cindy

Hello,
I always make it with or without the drippings minus the grease. But to my gravy I add a can of cream of mushroom soup or cream of chicken soup. I have had so many compliments and men who request my gravy.

Good luck. Lori

Another thing I discovered quite by accident is that sodium free bouillon mixes make an excellent gravy stock with just a small amount of salt added (less than would be present in a "normal" bouillon or even a jarred soup base). These dietetic bouillons make a really heroic effort to create good flavor, although when made as directed they end up smelling wonderful and tasting lousy. A little salt and they smell wonderful and taste wonderful. Add some flour or cornstarch and olive oil to complete the gravy.