Homemade Suet

I just got done making suet for the wild birds. It is cheap enough to buy, but gets even cheaper if you make your own. The following is my recipe.

• 1 cup lard
  • 1 cup peanut butter (I like to use the chunky)
  • 1 cup flour
  • 5 cups cornmeal
  • add ins as desired - sunflower seeds, bird seed, raisins, dry fruit, millet, rolled oats, or nuts

Directions:

I pour into molds from suet that I bought in the past. After you have melted the lard and peanut butter and put in our add ins, you freeze the molds. They freeze well for up to 2 months. If you want you can make a small batch and smear on pine cones and dangle them from a tree.

By linda from Bellevue, NE

Flicker at suet feeder.

Silver Post Medal for All Time! 398 Posts

One of my best memories is when I used to boil water, crisco and sugar together. After boiling it I would pour in oatmeal. I would also add slices of bread. I would put this in a butter container and hang it lopsided from the fence. At the time, I could see out my sliding glass door. It was not only attractive to birds but also to little animals who would climb the fence to get it This was while I was up in IL.

Such fun to watch the animals have winter food!

Blessings, Robyn

I make a similar recipe for suet, but use 3 to 4 cups of quick oats. The birds love them

Anonymous

Instead of lard I save and use bacon drippings, I don't add flour or oats but do add dried fruit and nuts and bird seed

I too save all the meat drippings in a plastic container in the freezer. Adding shredded leftover meats and then melt down in a pot and put in corn meal, nuts, fruit, peanuts, etc.

and freeze in an old tupperware bread box, slicing squares when I need them.

Gold Feedback Medal for All Time! 520 Feedbacks

Bacon drippings are too salty for birds

Home and Garden Gardening Birds & Bird HousesDecember 20, 2011
🎉
🎄
https://www.thriftyfun.com/tf87641208.tip.html