AdviceDogs

Advice For Stopping Golden Retriever From Urinating On Porch

I have a 3 year old female golden retriever who has never peed in my house. Within the past 3 weeks, she has been peeing on my back porch. She only goes in one spot. Help.

Tricia from Altoona, PA

Could be she is having a bladder problem and this is her way of letting you know. Check with a vet if it keeps up. Since it is new behavior, I doubt she is just doing it for fun.

Dogs do not like to sleep or eat where they eliminate. Since she is 3 yrs old there may be a medical problem and you should take her to the vet. If not, it's an issue that just developed which you may want to think about. Has anything been different in her world? Or your's? She may be acting out to any change or new thing in her or your life.

Do you have a kennel?

Is the spot where she goes covered? Is it on treated wood or ? You can go to your local Petco and purchase Bitter Apple, or many other products that you spray it on and most dogs won't go near it. The trick is, though, you cannot let your dog see you spraying it on. If that works, you've got your solution. But do yourself and your dog a favor and invest in a Kennel, as most dogs need a place of their own, their little den- so to speak - where she can go whenever she wants peace and quiet. Most dogs will take naps in their kennels, eat in their kennels, and food is the best incentive for getting her IN the kennel. Anything else I can help you with, or just keep me informed, please contact me at hearts1 AT cox.net.

Hearts1 - Debby