VegetablesFood Tips

Cleaning Celery (Destringing)

I have a question. I am wondering how to remove the rind from celery. The part of the celery that is hard to bite or chew because of the stands of rind (what I call the string part of celery). There is a way to remove this part of the celery but I am not sure how to do it. Can anyone tell me how or what they might think.

Thank you,
Deltadawn from Canada

Cut across the base of the stalk just above where it joined the base. Using the flat side of your knife you can lift several strings at once and pull upward toward the top of the stalk. You can de-string one stalk in two or three such strokes.

I use a serrated-edge knife, such as a steak knife, to get the strings off my celery. Then I wash any remaining strings off under the cold-water faucet.

Just use your vegetable peeler on the back of the celery.

I saw this on a cooking show........Yeah Food channels!!

Or you can 'snap' the celery stalks not quite all the way through and pull one side to peel the strings off the back of it. The pull the dangling strings off the other half. I do this first to remove the tough heavy strings and then touch up any bits I've missed using a kitchen knife and my thumb to nip the strings and peel them off.

Regards

Jo

Why remove the "strings"? They are wonderful fiber for your gastrointestinal tract.

And after you remove them, don't stick them in your garbage disposal without first chopping them up with a knife. They are what will clog your disposal/sink when putting celery in it. The garbage disposal just doesn't have the sharpness the blades need to reduce the strings to sludge and flush down the drain. Once you chop them up, they will go down the disposal drain nicely. Otherwise, it's like tossing a pile of dental floss in there.