PlumbingHome

Dish Soap for Toilet Clogs

I've had toilet clogs where I've plunged a few times and everything would go down.

The problem now is that when I flush, it won't go down so you'd assume there's a clog. The water comes all the way up, but doesn't overflow and just sits, like a clog.

I left if overnight and this morning, all the water had drained out of the toilet. So I figured the clog was gone and I flushed, but the same thing happened again.

Will the soap and hot water trick work for this?

By Maureen from Staten Island, NY

Best Answer

I have tried this and it really works. If there is standing water in the toilet, remove most of it by scooping it out into a bucket (wear rubber gloves please). Once this is done, pour a good squirt of dish soap into the toilet and let stand for a few minutes. Take your plunger and plunge one or two times. You will be amazed...it works!

Best Answer

Simply amazing! After scooping out the dirty water and plunging and flushing numerous times, and even trying to use a snake, I still had a clogged toilet. So, I decided to look online for another solution and came upon this. It totally works! first I squeezed a substantial amount of Dawn dish liquid, waited for my pot of water to come to a boil, and then waited for the soap and water to settle down. I followed all the tips such as turn water off and don't flush till suds are down. After the water went down, I boiled another pot of water, poured it into the toilet, and it flushed right away. Thank you so much.

Just tried this on my sluggish toilet and it worked beautifully! Thank you so much!

Best Answer

Just saved $200+ using the Dawn trick to unclog a toilet.

I've been a landlord for years and have spent $$$ on drain service. I know basic unclogging with a plunger or auger. But this toilet was stuck down the line. If I waited a half hour the line would empty of water and I'd get two or three flushes in before the water backed up.

That means the clog is down the line and will cost $$$ for a mainline drain snake by a plumber. New houses have cleanouts for access but on older homes the plumber has to go onto the roof and go in through the vents. $$$

After some Googling I found the Dawn trick and figured I had nothing to lose. I put about 10 oz of Dawn down the toilet, added a few glasses of hot water to move it down the line and waited over night.

The next morning a few more flushes cleared out the line. Let's be logical - Dawn is great at cutting grease and grime and it is slippery stuff. If paper or waste is stuck in the pipe there's a good chance of it working. Obviously if a kid threw a toy down there you're out of luck.

TIPS

1. If you have cast iron pipes be careful to use soluble toilet paper. Do not use the thick, soft stuff. That will hang up on the pipes more easily. Old cast pipes get rough on the inside.

2. Check your flapper. Our flapper was designed to conserve water. That means the flush only released part of the water needed to flush the waste, especially with that heavy toilet paper. Be sure you are doing a full flush or two for solid waste, especially in older homes.

3. Try the Dawn trick. Cheap and easy to try and saved me a couple hundred bucks.

Anonymous

The dawn and hot water totally work. My six year old son flushed TWO maxi pads down the toilet and I thought an plumbing bill was in my future. I googled it, and figured I had nothing to lose. Thank God that I did!

Have you tried using a snake to go down the toilet and see it you can unclog it that way? Sometimes the clog is further down. It might be helpful to have a plumbers savings account. It really helps to have at least a little aside when they come over! Do you have a septic tank that might need to be pumped? Toilets, I know how they are. I have an old old old old one at home.

Blessings, Robyn

Here are some additional resources:
http://www.ehow … clog-toilet.html
http://www.ehow … clog-toilet.html
http://www.wiki … /Unclog-a-Toilet
http://www.wiki … -unclog-a-toilet
Also the "snake" is now called an Auger.

It really worked! I just saved $120 for a plumber or at least $40 for an auger! Thank you thank you thank you!