CandyFood Tips

Using Almond Bark in Fudge

Greetings from Ireland. I would like to try the white fudge, but have no idea what almond bark is. Can anyone please help? Thanking you.

By deirdrehenry

Almond bark, is slabs of white stuff, I imagine it could be called white chocolate, but to me it doesn't taste like white chocolate. The packages of almond bark where I live are about 6x8" and about 1 1/2" high. You can also buy packages of white chocolate chips. Some stores even have packages of an item called candy melts. They come in different colors and flavors. Look in the area of your stores that has the baking supplies in it, I think that is where you will find the almond bark. The candy melts in the store I shop in, are located in the department where the party supplies are sold.

Yes, almond bark is basically something used to make candy. Comes in different flavors.

Not sure why it's called almond bark because it never has almonds in it, that I know of. I attached a picture.

Here is a little more info on it, I didn't know either until I looked it up..what a weird name!

http://en.wikip  wiki/Almond_bark

"Almond bark (also known as vanilla flavored candy coating) is a chocolate-like confection made with vegetable fats instead of cocoa butter and with coloring and flavors added.[1] It can be bought in packages, blocks, or round discs where candy and baking supplies are sold.[2] The confection is commonly used to cover or dip fruits, nuts, cookies, or crackers, in place of real chocolate.[3]

The term is also applied to a type of candy consisting of sheets or chunks of semisweet or milk chocolate to which almonds or almond pieces, and/or cherry almond flavoring have been added.[4]"

So there you have it....what a name!

This info is from my Aunt, who is a Chocolatier in a candy factory....almond bark is a mixture of white chocolate and whole or halved almonds. You melt the white chocolate (carefully as it burns very easily), add the almonds to the warm chocolate, then quickly pour and spread it thinly on waxed paper. It is called "almond bark" because it is spread so that it looks "rippled" (not smooth), like tree bark with almonds in it.