WindowsHome Improvement

Make Your Own Thermal Drapes

contest winner icon

Make your own "thermal draperies". I did this: I lined my regular pinch pleated drapes with see through plastic (the kind you put on your windows to keep out drafts) or you can substitute any other kind you may have just lying around; such as plastic shower curtains or table cloths, whatever you have that may not show through your drapes on the inside the room. You can sew, tape or staple the plastic onto the wrong side of the drapes and when the drapes are pulled shut, the house stays much, much warmer.

By Pookie from Thayer, MO

Excellent idea, and one I will try myself.

I like this idea too! Will be trying it this weekend. We are having a really cold spell here in the Northwest! I'll be prepared for the next one.

This seems like a good idea until you consider that plastic when heated by the sun will give off toxic gasses. Never use a shower curtain for this Plastic shower curtains are being taken off the market because of their toxic off-gassing of VOC's.

Great timing, as I'm in the middle of making 6 panels with a thermal lining and then another one inside. I bought the lining at the fabric store, but it was on sale, so it wasn't too bad. I have three hung so far, as our sun room is freezing and it has boosted the temperature by 5 or 6 degrees, we're monitoring it. Can't wait to be done, however. Lots of work!

There is always a nay-sayer but I think it's a darned good idea.

Great idea! Living in GA, we do get semi-cold at times and I think this idea will help save on our electric bill as we have electric heat. Thanks and Merry Christmas or Happy Hanukkah (which ever you celebrate)!