Sewing MachinesMachines

Sewing Machine Presser Foot Came Apart

I have a 30 year old Kenmore sewing machine. I was changing the presser foot and about 3 pieces, screw and all fell off and I cannot seem to get it back together. About a year ago it had a tune up and it worked fine. My book doesn't seem to explain how to get it back together. Any suggestions?

By Jacki S

Is it the presser foot that has come apart, or something off of the machine? I'm not familiar with Kenmores-I sew vintage Singer exclusively, but pressure feet are pretty much (more or less) the same.

Look at the pieces (if it is the pressure foot) carefully to see if you can see a jagged edge. If you can, it means the metal or plastic of the foot has failed, and it's a simple case of getting a replacement foot.

Also something to try is a different foot-do you have any other feet like zipper or something else that has been working with no problems? If so try it in the machine to see if it works now. If a different foot works you can be 99.9% sure the one in pieces is broken and just needs to be given a decent burial, lol!

It could be something in the area the foot shank attaches to, though, so do try another foot to be sure. If a different foot won't attach to the machine, there is a problem inside the take-up/foot take-up area that will need to be replaced. Metal (rarely) and plastic (always and eventually, just a matter of time) do fail over the years, especially if the machine is a domestic one and has been sewing through heavy layers of fabric.

One of the reasons I sew exclusively on vintage Singers (pre 1980s) is because they are all metal, and because I can service the machines myself. The other brands went to plastic at earlier and later times depending on the model, plus the service manuals for them aren't as easy to find, or I'd be sewing with one of them:)

Google using the search term vintage Kenmore sewing machine feet to find a source for replacements-you write that your machine is 30 years old, and some machine companies models are considered vintage at 25, so using the word vintage in your search might help you find what you need.

Using that search term I think you'll also see images of what the foot should look like to help you put it back together if it's not broken. Sears might have feet for your machine, too, so have a look on their service and parts website.

Good luck, it is very frustrating when your favourite sewing machine is acting up!

Have you gone to Sears or who ever sells that name product? The salesman can either help you or get the information you need from the Kenmore Company. It is worth giving a try. Good luck. jjs fl.

Go to where you got it serviced at. I am sure they would help you with your problem I have a Kenmore and it to is that old. It might even be the same one as yours. It sounds to me that it might have broken apart because it should be the screw and the presser foot and should just slide up the stem and put the screw back in. If you have other presser feet try them.