Tooth Whitener for Nails

I have head that you can apply a small amount of tooth whitener under your nail, real or acrylic, to keep them clean. Has anyone else heard of this and tried it? If so, how did it work?

Best Answer

I'm super fussy about my nails when it comes to food preparation, so I keep a good nail brush by my kitchen sink. If I have lemons on hand ( which I usually do) I just use lemon juice and a nail brush to scrub under my nails. If I don't have lemons, plain old white vinegar does the trick. The acids in vinegar and lemons are natural disinfectants, and they are chem-free, economical products most people have on hand anyway.

tooth whitener is usually a mild form of hydrogen peroxide, like the ones you use to bleach your hair or disinfect cuts. it's chemically similar to bleach and safe injested in small diluted doses. so it makes sense that it would lighten or whiten most any porous surface you applied it to. should be harmless, i'd give it a try. if you experience any burning, wash it off right away. another tip would be to try soaking finger tips in pure real lemon juice or hydrogen peroxide which are both readily available at the grocrery or drug store and are a lot cheaper than tooth whiteners.

Try brushing with a whitening toothpaste and an old toothbrush. Don't use anything strong -- can cause painful burns.

Good grooming keeps nails clean, but to have bright, white nails, take the easy way out. Use a nail-white pencil. They've been around forever and Sally Hansen makes them, as do other manicure product mfgs. Just moisten the tips of your clean nails and run the pencil under the nail. Rinse to get the excess off and you have instant whites on your fingernails.