Keeping Garbage Bags In Place

Category Miscellaneous
It is annoying when the trash can bag liner slips down into the can as you add trash. This is a guide about keeping garbage bags in place.

I try to recycle whenever I can and use the plastic bags that merchandise and food come in from stores for liners in my smaller garbage pails. I found that putting a rubber band around the rim, helps hold the bag from slipping when items get thrown in. Finding the correct size rubber band was like a needle in a haystack and I also found that they get brittle and break often.

I came up with this idea several months ago and have not used a rubber band since. I tried using girl's elastic head bands (you can get a package of 10 at a dollar store) and they work like a charm. They also last a long time. No more breaking or getting your fingers snapped!

By maryeruth from Palm Coast, FL

I like to use plastic grocery bags as trash liners for the small trash cans in my house but they have a way of falling inside the can which is annoying. I have found that by sticking two plastic coat hooks, one on either side of the wastebasket, upside down, you can use the hooks to hold the handles of the grocery bags and voila - bags that are cheap and secure! The hooks can be put on with double sided foam tape or Command strip hooks that come with their own removable adhesive.

By Tony

Cut off the elastic from pants or undergarments and use to keep trash bags from falling into can or anything you need to stay put.

When I buy trash bags that don't like to stay in place, I simply measure off a length of elastic, sew it together and fit it over the trash can. When the bag is put into the can we simply pull the elastic over the edges and this keeps it from moving. We never take the elastic off, (except to clean it) we simply push it down a little, lift out the bag, and replace it.

By Gem from VA

When installing a new trash bag in my trash can, I found when putting trash in it some times the bag would slip down. I solved that problem by wetting the outside of the top part of the can with a little soap and water. I used a cloth or sponge to dampen outside, then place the trash bag in it and over the top of the can. It never moved until I needed to take the trash out.

By Marcy from Houston, TX

Tired of having the trash bag pull off the rim of the can when you toss something a bit heavy in the can? Take a piece of elastic from the sewing basket and make a large "rubber band." Slip it around the edge of the can and pull the top of the liner through the band all around. It won't happen again.

By Linda from Vista, CA

Use the right size garbage bag. If you know your garbage can size, you can figure out which bag your can will be able to hold.

Does your kitchen garbage bag fill up and fall off the wire rim? I solved this problem with two small hair clips, one on each side of the bag. Never had the bag fall off since. By Ann

In our effort to stuff our trash bags to the fullest we can't always slide them out of the can without great effort or breakage. The solution to this is to put one bag in the can and then put one on top on the first one.

I have a beautiful ceramic bathroom wastebasket and I was wondering if I could use double sided tape to hold the liner inside? I bought some 3 gallon liners, but they keep slipping down inside the wastebasket. Any suggestions?

By Onesummer

Answers

If you had a large enough rubber band, or some elastic for a waistband, you could make one, it slips over the top of the basket to hold the liner around the outside rim.

You could use double sided tape but it may adhere to the gallon liners too aggressive causing them to tear when you want to remove them and also the tape could peel off the wastebasket at the same time.. You could fold the bag over the rim of the basket and anchor it place with some clips. Or line the basket with a old towel using double sided tape. Maybe the friction of the towel against the plastic bag would be enough hold it in place. I am sure other posers can come with some niffty ideas.

We solved the problem with a trash can rubber band liner. Look at these, I did a Google search for trash can rubber band and had many hits but here are a couple. We purchased three and accidentally threw 2 out. The last one has been doin' the job for over a year now.

http://www.amaz  on/dp/B000N4BWVO

http://www.doll  ubber-bands.html

My favorite
http://www.mile  &ICMP=Search

What Fatboyslimsmom said.

I read a tip here (I think) a few weeks ago suggesting using elastic. The poster sewed the ends of the elastic but you could tie it, too. It sounded like a really good idea to me.

Tie a small knot at the top open corner of the bag. This will make it snug as you put it over the edge of your wastebasket. If the bags you're using are on a roll, just keep the roll in the container, too. Then they're right there when you replace.

Have you thought of paper bags that have the structure to free stand?

Anonymous

I also place the bag in the can and then knot one corner after folding the top of the bag over the can.

Someone suggested, probably on this site, to put those self sticking hooks (small) on the sides (inside or outside) of container and then hang the bags on them. Two should do it.

What I do is grab 2 edges a few inches apart and tie them in a double knot like your shoes. If its too tight stretch it a little so its loose enough to tie. I do this every day only takes a second.

I was having trouble keeping the waste paper basket bag from falling inside the basket. Well, a bungy strap that fits a little snug works great. No more slipping.

By Joyce from Tennessee

Answers:

Keeping Bags from Falling into the Wastebasket

You can also just tie one corner of the bag in a small knot and the bag will fit snuggly. (03/01/2007)

By PICO

You can also use the clips from the office supply store. The size would depend on the thickness of the basket.

We use the large ones for our trash barrels.

Laine (03/02/2007)

By Laine Butterworth

I used to take a piece of 1/4" elastic and cut to the right length and tie the ends together or else sew them together and slip that over the edge of the bag. (08/12/2009)

By redhatterb

If the trash bag in your kitchen garbage bucket keeps slipping down, simply cut the elastic off the waist band from an old pair of panty hose and slip it around the top, securing the bag to the outside of the garbage can.

By Gretchen from Aberdeen, SD

Answers:

I use the elastic from an old pair of my husband's briefs that I cut off. lol. Works like a charm. God Bless.
(10/08/2010)

By Trish in CT

I used a piece of elastic from my sewing basket. I just cut off the length that I needed and tied a knot in it. It has been working great on my tall kitchen plastic trash container for several years. Before the elastic, the plastic bag was constantly sliding down when anything heavy was thrown in. (10/08/2010)

By Kathryen

To keep plastic trash bags in place, I cut a length of 1/4 inch elastic and tie the ends together - like forming a large rubber band. Slip this over the bag, at the rim of the can. Works very well for kitchen trash cans and bathroom wastebaskets.

By Chris from Levittown, PA