WalkingFitness

Walking for Exercise

Walking is one of the best all around exercises that a person can do. It doesn't require any special equipment, other than a good pair of walking shoes. You can walk almost anywhere at any time, even in inclement weather if you have the appropriate attire.

If you don't like walking by yourself, get a friend or family member to join you. Save the money you would spend on a gym membership and use it where it is needed.

By Rachel's Mom from Wilkesboro, NC

I have been walking for about 10 years, do approximately 6 to 12 miles a day. Often I incorporate shopping in my walks and carry home items. I walk to the libraries, stores, doctors office, malls, etc. If I can walk there, I go. I have gotten to be known by the shopkeepers and even the police who wave to me as I walk. It has saved quite a bit on my car gas bills as well as wear and tear on it also.

I personally prefer to walk alone since I can go at my own pace. However, I do not walk in desolate areas nor do I walk at night.

I also bought a bicycle and bike ride too. Unless the weather is really atrocious (then I use my exercise bike and treadmill), I am out daily.

It's difficult for me to get out and about - not because I can't walk, but because I lack a sighted companion both willing and able to walk with me. My solution: I sneak in extra steps any time I can, right here at home.

I sometimes even walk back and forth between the dish drainer and cabinet putting away clean dishes, or set the hamper of clean laundry a few steps farther away while I'm folding laundry. Every step counts!