Freezing Lettuce

We just got a food saver and we want to freeze up salad mix. I want to know the best way to freeze lettuce, or if you even can. I can't find anything about freezing lettuce.

By Cathi from Vancouver, WA

To my knowledge, lettuce has too much water in it to freeze it. It would thaw and be a nasty slime like stuff.

Yeah, I agree with Dedeswrkshop. I've had lettuce get frost on it, and it got damaged (I was able to remove the frost-damaged spots and the remainder was okay). You can try it, but I don't think it will be successful.

Yeah, think about how soft frozen and thawed strawberries are. The freezing break the cell walls of the plant and it will loose its "crispness". If you are going to add it to soup or something, it should be fine. But it won't make a good salad.

Why don't you make and freeze some lettuce soup. Try the following website and see if there are some lettuce soup recipes.

http://www.recipezaar.com

If you intend the lettuce for salad STOP it cannot be done.

How about if you vacuum seal it and keep it in the fridge, one week's worth at a time. Just make sure to cut the opening in an even line, or the sealer won't seal when you re-seal it.

I have frozen romaine hearts for use in green Smoothies by first blending the leaves with just a little water in my Vitamix blender, then freezing in ice cube trays. Then I add the frozen cubes to green Smoothies in whatever amount desired.

I too have a food saver and have found that if you want to store for salad, unfortunately you can't really freeze it - it comes out rubbery. However, I DO mix all my garden veg together and seal in the food saver system. Eliminate as much moisture as possible - add croutons (discard after opening saved food as they absorb excess moisture) and a couple drops of lemon juice and it can hold for a month in the fridge

Can you freeze lettuce in freezer bags?

Sandra from Lansing, IL

Answers:

Freezing Lettuce

No. When you freeze lettuce and then defrost it you get something akin to what you get when you defrost spinach.
Please don't freeze it. (06/13/2007)

By Ms April

Freezing Lettuce

Ms April is correct! Lettuce is one thing that is completely un-freezable. However, I make all of my soup stock from scratch and keep a bag in the freezer for all of my veggie scraps and I always include lettuce, especially romaine. (06/15/2007)

By JuliaY

Freezing Lettuce

Lettuce has such a high water content that when you freeze it the ice crystals pretty much ruin it. (06/18/2007)

By Beth