VegetablesFood Tips

Ripening Tomatoes

Ripen homegrown tomatoes on a rubber shelf liner. We bought our house 2 years ago and the woman that lived here before me left her rubber shelf liners. I hated the stuff, but also hated to throw it away. I came up with this idea.

The rubber cushions the tomatoes and the holes let air circulate around them. It also keeps the tomatoes from sitting in juice from a weepy tomato. You can also put towels, newspaper or paper towels under the rubber liner to soak up the juice from the weepers. When it gets dirty, just throw it in the washing machine with a little bleach.

Happy Summer bounty everyone!

By Jessica McCoy from Wooster, AR

Anonymous

I have pulled them when it gets to cold before it starts to freeze and hung them up in a cool area, I hung them in the garage where they ripened fine.

To ripen tomatoes, put them in a brown paper bag in a dark pantry, and they will ripen overnight.

By Peggy