PlumbingHome

What Causes Fluctuating Water Pressure in House?

We randomly have low and high water pressure throughout the house. What can be the problem, how can I find it, and how can I fix it?

By Karla from Broward, FL

This would be a good question to ask your city office/water manager. They may have the answer, they may have to find the answer if you really have a problem. Sometimes water leaks, sometimes supply and demand (use) dominates the water pressure. I am 3 blocks from the tower and have great pressure.
Your indoor plumbing can be inspected to make sure all water pipes are code sized. We just changed out copper to PEX. My house is 100 years old. My son/husband spent a day doing this. Took about a week to decide on all parts needed including how much tubing, routing, etc.

I'm presuming you have city water access. You might consider who else is on the same water line. There are 3-5 households on our water line, we're 2nd in line, I think (one neighbor is closer to town.)

When our pressure drops, we figure someone else on the line is using water... taking a shower, having just flushed, or perhaps something else. We turn off our water, give it a few seconds or maybe a few minutes and try again. Usually our pressure is back to normal.

Karla, I'm in Broward County, too ( Hollywood). We don't see it consistently, but we do have the same problem now and then. All sorts of things, like line repairs a 1/4 mile away, flushing lines, a neighbor filling an in-ground pool, or doing an inordinate amount of landscape watering, or even the fire department hooking up to a nearby hydrant can affect your pressure.

I know that in our area, the water lines are aging(think 1950-60-ish) and are likely smaller than what would be put in now, in 2010 and it looks like the town has projects scheduled in a few neighborhoods (including ours) to revamp the lines with larger piping over the next couple of years. Give your local water department a yell and see if they're getting comparable complaints from anyone else in your neighborhood. Maybe they can help.