My Frugal Life: Oddball Of The Family

My brother sent me a birthday card. The outside of the card showed a man dressed in a gray suit with pants which were about three inches too high which showed his white socks.

The man was holding a chicken. The outside of the card stated "In every family, there are a couple odd characters." On the inside of the card it stated, "Oh look, one of them is having a birthday!"

I deeply love my brother and he feels likewise towards me so I did not take any offense, however I thought that the card was rather odd until I began comparing myself to my family members and I am the odd ball in our family.

I am considered the odd ball in our family as I am frugal. My family cannot believe that I do not take elaborate vacations, that I have not traded in my eight year old car, that I do not buy things from the mall, that I do not buy the latest electronics, that I do not eat at expensive restaurants or buy expensive jewelry.

I am not interested in purchasing an expensive home and then furnishing it with new, expensive furniture. They roll their eyes whenever I tell them of my latest thrift shop find.

They think that my thrift store clothing and shoes are passe' and cannot believe that I could care less about what the latest fashions are as long as I am comfortable.

They were flabbergasted when I gave my television away, but I got sick of looking at all the commercials and allowing the television shows to suck up all of my off work time. I would much rather be reading.

I am content with what I have. I have a comfortable apartment, clean and comfortable clothes and a stable job. I really do not need a lot. I am happy. I am single, without children, but I have Joshua (my miniature Dachshund) who keeps me on my toes and keeps away loneliness.

I am proud of my frugality as it has enabled me to pay off $76,000 in debt in the past two and a half years and I only have two thousand to go until I am debt free! All of my family members are all deeply in debt. So yes I will be the odd ball and I will bear the title proudly!

By Tawnya from Dallas, TX

What a beautiful testament to be a 'real' person. As I read this I thought to myself; how comfortable you are and living really living without pretense.

Congratulations Tawnya on paying down your debt. Keep up the good work!!!